Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Keh

Re: Keh

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Their return policy is very generous.
    Indeed, it has served me well in the past, and I continue to buy from them. FWIW, they have recently refined the policy, adding among other things the following clause:

Customers with a high return rate of working merchandise may be subject to incremental restocking fees or other further action.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    If you don't like the way they do business, then trade somewhere else, and save yourself and them (and us) about the bitching and moaning.
    +1.
    There are no magic or miracle deals out there.
    What they are trying to tell you with AS IS: it might not work, and you cannot return it. buy at your own risk.

If you do not have enough info in order to make an educated decisions - then do not buy.
    In the olden days, you would order a BGN LF lens and get an EX+ because either the BGN was dead or out of stock. They had so any of each model it did not matter much to them. Now, BGN might be bad, and if it is - send it back. If it is EX+, dont.

Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post
    They inspect each item to determine condition. It would be pretty easy for them at that time to write a description and post a photo. No photo with this item, either.
    My understanding is that their inspection is for the most part cosmetic, quick and fast...it probably does not include running a roll of film through it. But they seem to balance it with a good return policy...and occasional one can find a lightly blemished but otherwise solid camera at BGN rates.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

I recently bought a camera and a lens from KEH. My first LF camera. Am happy.

Dave Karp

I have purchased many items from KEH over the years. I had bad luck with film holders and pretty good luck with everything else. In the old days, the sales rep could ask for an item to be brought up from the warehouse so they could call you back and describe it to you. That was really great and something I miss. I have purchased many items rated BGN and could not determine why any of them were rated so low. Recently, I purchased a BGN LF lens from them and it had a pretty decent scratch on the front element, fairly close to the center. I think it is going to go back. This is quite different than any of the other BGN items I purchased from them. Too bad.

I do think that in general KEH goes over the stuff it receives pretty carefully. I have sold a few items to them in the past. They lowered the price they paid me for a Canon A-1 because they had to calibrate the light meter and do some other maintenance on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayt View Post
    Just buy EX or above. BGN will have problems may or may not be relevant to picture taking . . .
    I think that this is a good idea.

I've bought many items from them. I would have to agree that in the past BGN would almost always come with no blemishes and look excellent. The last two items I bought from them had schneideritis, but nothing that would impact the performance of the lens. From now on I'll be buying ex or above from them.

Regarding the experience from the OP, if you want excellent customer service you have to pay for it. I love KEH for their low prices. Even with their higher rated stuff it is usually cheaper than their competitors.

Large Format Rocks ImSoNegative's Avatar

i have really only positive business with keh, I have been to there office a couple of times and the sales people are not even close to the warehouse, seems there would be better method when it comes to answering questions, because it really makes the salesperson look bad, especially since they started the "as is" category, I have only bought BGN and up from them and have never had a problem, actually I have been more than satisfied.
    "WOW! Now thats a big camera. By the way, how many megapixels is that thing?"

The odd thing is that when KEH sells an item on Ebay, they seem to be able to do the impossible. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but they seem to be able to show an image of the actual item they are selling you and they appear to be able to provide a description of that item. However, on their main KEH site they are not able to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by john borrelli View Post
    The odd thing is that when KEH sells an item on Ebay, they seem to be able to do the impossible. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but they seem to be able to show an image of the actual item they are selling you and they appear to be able to provide a description of that item. However, on their main KEH site they are not able to do this.
    They also sell slightly cheaper on Ebay for identical items and with the same guarantee. I was just shopping a rather expensive MF lens and it seemed to be the same lens listed in both places, for $150 less on Ebay.

I have long thought KEH plays games and tries to set the market, after all they are the biggest player in the world. They have deep inventory and move a lot of gear.
    Tin Can