Thread: Packard shutters and mounting big lenses to modern? cameras.

Packard shutters and mounting big lenses to modern? cameras.

I shoot mostly studio and prefer modern metal cameras. Horseman are almost strong enough, but I don't think any camera is stronger than a 1950's Linhof Color Kardan. Sinar is not even in the race.

Lately I like old, heavy, long lenses and 8X10 and 5X7 Linhof Color Kardan have 9" lens boards. Seemed a good place to start. First I used 4x5 Horseman frames and lens boards and adapted them to Linhof 9" boards. But then I noticed the Horseman/Sinar lens boards are simply not big enough so I converted a second Linhof lens board to hold 8X8" Deardorf lens boards.

So there are 2 sets of lens boards. The first will mount any lens a Sinar or Horseman can handle.

The second will mount any lens a 11x14 Deardorff will handle.

Both have 3-3/4" Packard shutters with DIY micro switch sync and internal strobe triggers.

The little lens is a 10-1/2 cooke and the big lens is a Nikkor 610.

But bigger and weightier lens will follow.

Here is the Horseman 'small' setup.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1-DSCN5850.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	125946Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2-DSCN5853.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	125947Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3-DSCN5854.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	91.4 KB 
ID:	125948
    Tin Can

Re: Packard shutters and mounting big lenses to modern? cameras.

Here is the 'big' setup.

Name:	6-DSCN5857.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	42.9 KB 
ID:	125950Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5-DSCN5856.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	86.0 KB 
ID:	125952Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4-DSCN5855.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	125953
    Tin Can

Randy, whatever works, works.

Another solution to the problem of supporting a heavy lens is to put a crutch under it. Depending on the situation, a standard with cut out function carrier or, if it can be perched on the rail, a lab jack will do very well. I know, not an option with a flat bed camera like a 'dorff.

FWIW, y'r 610/9 Apo Nikkor isn't heavy enough to need a crutch.

I'm going through something similar. I've got 5x7 and 8x10 Agfa-Anscos, and a few shutterless lenses. I made a reducing board for the big camera to hold boards for the 5x7 and hung a Packard behind that. Then I made another identical board that's just a simple reducing board for lenses with shutters. Now I'm in the process on mounting everything on small boards for the 5x7. I haven't figured out how I'll handle the two shutterless lenses that I want to work on the 5x7, too. Maybe I'll make a rig to hang a Packard on the front of them. The smaller camera's front is too small to hold the Packard I need to use.

Anyway, one of those two lenses is a 36cm Heliar. Man, that thing is HEAVY. I wouldn't necessarily put it on the 8x10 at all, except that when I got that camera everything had come unglued from being stored in a basement, and I reglued it all myself, so I know it's good. I'm in the process of trying to figure out a strut to hold up the front of the camera so the lens doesn't pull it down. Here was my first thought:

It works surprisingly well, acting like a guy-wire to the back of the standard, countering the weight on the front. I put it in place and tension it by cranking the lens standard forward. That's an early version of the board rig, before I thought about making all the lenses fit the 5x7, too.. When I realized I could put all the extension inside the camera and bring the weight and balance back, not hanging out so far in front, I made the current one.

The problem after that is if I want to use anything on my B&J 5x7. It's got the same board as the small A-A, but thinner. I was thinking of routing a step in the sides of the small boards, thinner from the front, just a strip on each side. That way I can turn them 90 degrees and clip them on the B&J, too. We'll see if I actually get around to that.
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

Thanks Dan and Michael for the tips.

I primarily wanted to mount lens that did not fit my Sinar/Horseman lens board conversion. Those big Linhof lens boards are over $200 each if you can find one. Hence my conversions for interchange.

Here is my 405mm Kodak which was really the end game. It does not fit easily or cheaply on Deardorff 6x6 or Sinar boards. I have seen it done, but at great expense. Same with a 610mm Nikkor, not heavy but wide flanges.

I mounted it today and then realized my nice huge Linhof compendium shade will now not fit. But I know I can make it work with a little tinkering...

Name:	1-750_1536 PS.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	60.8 KB 
ID:	126000
    Tin Can

Randy, I shoot a 405 Kodak in the field on my venerable Kodak 2D without problem. Nice little lens. And the old Kodak 2D only weighs 8 1/2 pounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    Randy, I shoot a 405 Kodak in the field on my venerable Kodak 2D without problem. Nice little lens. And the old Kodak 2D only weighs 8 1/2 pounds.
    Are you bragging or complaining? Just kidding!

I happen to have the Linhof so I use it. We all know we could use cardboard boxes.

I write this up for lurkers to read. All the regulars know this stuff. I am still learning, and I am fond of saying, I didn't know what LF was until I joined this forum 3 years ago. Learned it all here.

BTW. I have read and enjoyed most of your informative posts and videos. Great knowledge base.

Just what does one do in a field? No fields hereabouts.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Are you bragging or complaining? Just kidding!

I happen to have the Linhof so I use it. We all know we could use cardboard boxes.

I write this up for lurkers to read. All the regulars know this stuff. I am still learning, and I am fond of saying, I didn't know what LF was until I joined this forum 3 years ago. Learned it all here.

BTW. I have read and enjoyed most of your informative posts and videos. Great knowledge base.

Just what does one do in a field? No fields hereabouts.
    Yeah, just bragging I guess. Sometimes I think we photogs overthink our solutions. I think a rather cheap old Century 9a on a semi-centennial stand is a force to be reckoned with in a studio situation. Ford and Chevy. Democrat and Republican (Ken Lee, this is not political for cryin out loud!). We all tend to think our solution is best because, it's the one we came up with, and obviously, well, you know . .

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    Yeah, just bragging I guess. Sometimes I think we photogs overthink our solutions. I think a rather cheap old Century 9a on a semi-centennial stand is a force to be reckoned with in a studio situation. Ford and Chevy. Democrat and Republican (Ken Lee, this is not political for cryin out loud!). We all tend to think our solution is best because, it's the one we came up with, and obviously, well, you know . .
    I agree politically! I have had a hard time finding your setup in Chicago. As I just wrote 2 minutes ago elsewhere, your setup is best.
    Tin Can