This is not a digital print war thread, I am really curious to what you are doing with the digital data.

Ok, I have been reading post after post for the last year of what scanner should i use, what printer is best, ect. So here is my question; What the heck do you do with your digital data?

I ask this because in the last year I have had several pictures taken of my kids, such as a soccer group print, a science math event, and horse camp. I being a good parent spent the $35 for the group photo's. Well it has been several months to 18 months and the pictures are so fadded and degraded you can hardly make out the shoot. My question to you digital people is i would like to convert to digital on my color 4x5 neg. only and still do my own printing of B&W on an omega D2V. If all of the so called professional guys and gals are going digital with this kind of result. What the heck can you do to convince me that i can have a print that is worth spending the money on the digital scanners and printers, and have a picture that doesn't last. If these people are using printers that cost in the $500 and they don't last. Are all us stupid parents getting screwed? It does sound alot easier on color prints which i rarely do because of cost. But then again why should I buy all of this equipment for prints that don't last? Can anybody help clear my head, or is it quick down and dirty get the print out the door that makes this popular?
Help please,
Dan