Thread: Zone V1 4x5 with 90mm lens

Zone V1 4x5 with 90mm lens

Do I need a recessed lens-board to use a 90mm lens on a Zone VI 4x5 camera? I have attempted to use the 90mm lens with a standard lens-board but I can't get it to focus. Cheers....Geoff

If you are asking about the Zone VI "Classic" (the Wisner-designed one) you should not need a recessed board. At least I never did with a 90mm Fujinon lens. If it is the Wista-based one, I don't know.

I'd go with bag bellows, they are useful for all lenses up to the 125mm mark with good movement.

CP Goerz

You do not need a recessed board, but you need to tilt the front standard back towards the rear. You can use a lens as wide as 65 mm in this way, but you cannot move the lens around very much. Check to see that you are not taking a picture of the front of the camer. If so, you need to tilt both the front and rear standards back a little.

Andrew is right, if you want movements, you'd better go with the bag bellows on the Classic. The bellows is really stiff compressed this much.

I have the newer made by Fred, Zone IV and Louis is right on. However you will not be able to get much movements out of it. The bag bellows is a big help.

Fellow aficianados of large-format...many thanks. I shall heed the advice re bag bellows. In particular, my thanks to Louis for the advice re tilting the front standard back. A logical, simple, and elegant solution. Much better than pulling Fred's lovely creation apart and modifying it so the 2 standards move closer together...a desperate and clumsy solution I confess to having entertained. Also...many thanks for your rapid response to my question. In the far-off land of Down Under it is quite a sweet comfort to know that there is a large-format fraternity out there who are generous with their help. May Fred forgive me for thinking the unthinkable. Cheers...from Geelong - Australia...Geoff

My experience the same as Jim Rhoades. He is right on.

Not that it will be an issue in summery Australia- but the Z-VI bellows are made of plastic and stiffen up in the cold. My bag bellows have needed several repairs over the years, because I tried to make them do things they didn't want to do when the temp was below freezing.