Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cheapskating into 5x7 ?

Re: Cheapskating into 5x7 ?

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    Look for continental 13x18cm ( as near 5x7" as you can get!) reisekamera. A mahogany masterpiece with, usually, 3 double plate holders that can be fitted with both 5x7" and 13x18cm film.
    You shouldn't have to pay more than £150 for a perfect set.

The photo is a set I bought at an auction in Devon (online) 2 weeks ago for £110.

Note this is the more uncommon 18x24" size - it has barely been used!

Reiskameras tend to fetch far less in the UK so it's a good place to buy them, I paid £70 for mine an 18x24 from a dealer it needed a small repair taking that into so price wise similar to yours, smaller sizes are more common and cheap.

Ian

That's a camera?

I picked up this Keith Camera for $200 including some film holders and a lens. I found it on craigslist and it was dumb luck.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	keithcamera.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	41.7 KB 
ID:	125636

Lachlan 717

Have you actually checked to find out whether the type(s) of film you'd like to use are available for 5x7?
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

If you can find one within your budget I'd suggest getting an 8x10 with the addition of a 5x7 reducing back.

Burke & James 5x7 flatbeds and monorails seem plentiful, inexpensive, and versatile. They have plenty of movements and take the old standard 4" lensboards (or 5.25" in some models). These boards are easy to improvise with basic tools. My first one wasn't really cheap (maybe $125 40 years ago), but that comes to only a few dollars a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    Burke & James 5x7 flatbeds and monorails seem plentiful, inexpensive, and versatile. They have plenty of movements and take the old standard 4" lensboards (or 5.25" in some models). These boards are easy to improvise with basic tools. My first one wasn't really cheap (maybe $125 40 years ago), but that comes to only a few dollars a year.
    I got into 5x7 with a B&J too. The camera it's self cost me 200 US, and was worth every penny.
    Plus I found someone who makes beautiful lens boards for them for $10.00 each in the USA.

We've got a brace of old Agfa Anscos and a bunch of parts cameras (cannibal queens.)
    Not expensive (at least when I got them) for about $200, IIRC.
    But not all Agfa Anscos were created equal---look for a Universal OR a Commercial
    There are a lot of models out there with short bellows and non-existent movements made for some unknown purpose, so be careful!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Earlier Agfa-Anscos didn't have all the movements, and the wartime and after (the ones painted gray) aren't built quite as well.
    The Universal that I have of the years John is talking about has a respectable set of movements, and I got mine at a good price as a fixer.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GGix6us.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	125648

I entered large format, 5x7", with a Mentor field. Heavy and solid quality, lots of funktion.
    Filmholders are wooden, but there is always the possibility of adapting international parts.
    Versions either with, or without shutters are available.

Where are you located? Remember, you'll have to consider shipping....