Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheapskating into 5x7 ?

Cheapskating into 5x7 ?

Looking at the forums intro pages on 5x7, all cameras quoted there are $1000+ when it was written (more now..). However you can get into 4x5 with cameras of $200 or less with patience. I have done this in the past and now have servicable gear (Speed graphic and a Sinar F) with a number of lenses.

I recently realised that many of my lenses will cover 5x7 quite happily, and in some cases with advantageous results (e.g. the Super Angulon 90/8 which is _properly_ wide angle on 5x7...). But when I look, there are very very few cameras I see for sale that are less than £500 ($800-900). Are there any options open to a cheap-skate like me? I'd love a Tachihara, sure, but not for $2k...

Kevin.

Re: Cheapskating into 5x7 ?

Look for an old flat bed camera. If it hasn't been designated as collectible by the "experts", it will be very cheap. My favorite is a Seroco with original lens and shutter. The lens is a rapid rectilinear and he shutter times are accurate and consistent. It is also extremely light weight. I paid $20 for it a couple of years ago.

If you do get a 5x7 make sure the front bed/rail can be placed far back enough to eliminate them getting in the way of the lens. A 90mm lens is pretty darned wide on 5x7. Also, if you truly love ultra-wide images then you might keep in mind that a 72mm SA XL easily covers 5x7 and will require even more room in front of the camera to avoid bits of the camera from getting in the way.

Some of my best shots have been made with a Kodak 2D that was probably made in the 1930's. There are plenty of less modern cameras around in the used market at affordable prices. Other names include Seneca, Korona, Burke and James, Ansco, etc.

With one of your lenses they will give outstanding results. For a sample which shows image quality click here.

My cheapskate entry into 5x7 (the perfect and most versatile format of truly human scale!) was a Kodak 33a. Not a lot of movements, but so far for my landscape and portrait work it is more than enough. Got mine for $200.
    ...Dilettante! Who you calling a Dilettante?

An option that comes up every now and then is the Wista RittreckView 5x7 camera. They can often be had for several hundred dollars. They do have their limitations, but it would be one way to discover if shooting 5x7 is going to work for you. I'd have to test mine to see if it is usable with a 90mm Super-Angulon.

Here's what they look like:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01403.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	125623

If you keep your eyes open, a camera will come along. The photography non-profit where I work recently had a 4x5 Crown Graphic and an antique 5x7 wooden flatbed field camera donated. Both eventually will go on the block to raise funds. Neither are worth a ton of money but are eminently useable with a little work.

Look for continental 13x18cm ( as near 5x7" as you can get!) reisekamera. A mahogany masterpiece with, usually, 3 double plate holders that can be fitted with both 5x7" and 13x18cm film.
    You shouldn't have to pay more than £150 for a perfect set.

The photo is a set I bought at an auction in Devon (online) 2 weeks ago for £110.

Note this is the more uncommon 18x24" size - it has barely been used!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails kivellsauction.jpg  

I've seen some 5x7/13x18cm Linhof Technika III's seem to go quite "cheaply"(cheap for a Linhof product, that is) on the 'bay.

Finding lensboards, however, might prove to be a little more difficult, but definitely NOT impossible.
    All metal, super duper German engineering

I cheap skated into 7x5 for under $200 with an Improved Seneca View & another City View for parts off ebay, actually I'd have paid a touch less if I bought when offered on this forum, however I paid a very fair price so definitely no complaints

Here in the UK it's the price of 7x5 DDS (film holders) that's prohibitive and they are rare so fetch high prices. We still used half plate film when I first started using LF in the mid 1970's and 7x5 film wasn't available here.

Ian