Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What amateurs do you know who are worth looking into?

Re: What amateurs do you know who are worth looking into?

Quote Originally Posted by mdarnton View Post
    I find lots of good stuff on Flickr. I search for groups that have subject areas where I would expect to find the type of stuff that interests me, and page through group postings looking for someone interesting. When I find a photo or two I like, I go look at all that person's stuff. There are some amazingly good people there.

Flickr's system is well set up for that type of browsing [rant]500px is TERRIBLE--what kind of service that supposedly respects photography turns everything into a square thumbnail?!??! That's an insult--a browser made for people who look for things like photos with puppies or breasts in them, not for strong photographs--it's like cropping a two inch square word block out of the middle of a book to show how someone writes.[/rant]

I don't expect anyone on Flickr to deliver 100%, but I appreciate people who have a good eye and can consistently come up with something that's pretty good. Anyway, for me I found that many of the people whose work I like are from Russia and Italy--I have no idea why that would be.
    There are a few personal contacts in here, but mostly these are photographers I have found who I don't know, but like their work:
    https://www.flickr.com/people/michaeldarnton/contacts/
    https://www.flickr.com/people/mdarnton/contacts/
    Flickr is doing well for me at the moment too, for following photographers I'm interested in. I sometimes check the favorited photos of people I have contacts or who otherwise seem to show good taste in their photography. This can be interesting and expand my horizons a little bit too.

Thanks jp and mdarnton...

I can see that's exactly where I need to look.

Not an amateur as far as I can tell, but a new name for me: Angela Strassheim (angelastrassheim.com). I was in the library the other day, and saw a copy of Harper's Magazine on the rack, which caught my eye because of the cover photo. I looked the photographer up at home, and found her website (mentioned above) and liked her work. The proportions looked much more 4x5 to me than DSLR, and hunting through a few articles, I finally found one which confirmed that the 4x5 was her camera of choice. Her work is almost all color, largely about women's issues (a lousy description on my part, look at the work). It reminded me a little of Rineke Dijkstra's work, but with images conveying much more thought than Dijkstra's which seem to me largely frontal LF snapshots. Anyway, a photographer I had never heard of, who may be new to at least some of you, and who works mostly in LF color.

Flickr is doing well for me at the moment too, for following photographers I'm interested in. I sometimes check the favorited photos of people I have contacts or who otherwise seem to show good taste in their photography. This can be interesting and expand my horizons a little bit too.
    I'm with Jason. LFF and apug are also great places to follow people. VC and LensWork magazines as well.