Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4x5 101

4x5 101

Guys,

I have access to a studio with a 4x5 Sinar, might be P. I intend to buy a pack of fomapan and shoot some portraits. I know its a pretty broad subject, but could you point me to a useful resource for LF beginners? I come from medium format, but never used any movements. Thanks!

Re: 4x5 101

The forum's home page has many pages of useful tips.

what he said.
    and youtube

Even tho I joined in '03, I still go back there to look up info I need. Did it a few days ago, in fact.
    Peter Collins

On the intent of the First Amendment: The press was to serve the governed, not the governors --Opinion, Hugo Black, Judge, Supreme Court, 1971 re the "Pentagon Papers."

Movements are typically more applicable to architecture or product shooting. I'd get some time in beforehand to see what the camera is all about, but wouldn't really expect to be using movements for portraits unless you wanted to really distort focus.

Journey Man

Quote Originally Posted by kminov View Post
    Guys,

.... I know its a pretty broad subject, but could you point me to a useful resource for LF beginners? ....
    I found link to this one is most informative for beginners, among many others on the tube.

Enjoy your camera!
    Nicky
    The Never Ending Journey - 365°

Once you read up a bit be sure to physically practice using the camera, focusing and loading holders, and sequencing from focus to exposure so you don't get all tripped up under the pressure of having a live model watching you screw up

We are almost half-way through the second decade of the 21st Centyry, so sure . . .go to U-tube.

The books by Adams are always good. Steve Simmons' book on LF photography is also good, and is now available on-line as an e-book I think.

Go for it.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Thanks guys, appreciate it

Drew Wiley

The P cameras have all kinds of control knobs next to one another. If you haven't practiced with the camera first, to the point of automatically knowing what operates what function, expect some pretty annoyed portrait clients, or potentially something badly out of focus because you accidentally turned the wrong knob. Maybe you could just put a piece of colored tape on the focus knob itself, or better, prefocus on a stand-in (substitute) sitter, so something doesn't go wrong with the actual subjects. These are rather complex cameras.