Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Reboot

2 Bit Hack

Re: Reboot

Randy, I went through all that in the last 5 years including the weight gain. The cardiologist and the internal doc are at odds.
    Regards

Marty

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    We are born to die, enjoy now. I have not felt this good in 15 years...
    Good for you. This summer when I saw you you looked pretty fit.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Um, Kirk I'm older and in worse shape than you. My aged mother is, at 95 and legally blind thanks to macular degeneration, older and in worse shape than me. I follow her example. She does what she can within her limitations and she keeps going. She still makes trouble and still enjoys herself.

I did field work this March for the first time in twelve years. Went to Trinidad. I'm weaker and slower and tire more easily. In short, can't do as much as I used to. All this means is that I have to be smarter about what I attempt. I couldn't go to Paraguay in June to do more and better, there were permitting issues that are now solved. I look forward to going there late in spring.

I'm not yet at the point where everything is impossible. My mother's example makes me think that I may die before that happens. You probably will too.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

No matter how long you live, you always walk out in the middle of the movie...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Quote Originally Posted by Jmarmck View Post
    Randy, I went through all that in the last 5 years including the weight gain. The cardiologist and the internal doc are at odds.
    I prefer to die healthy, and they say heart attack is as good as any other way.

I have been knocked unconscious dozens of times. Don't ask and don't laugh knowingly. "Oak tree you're in my way."

Fade quickly to black is not that bad.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    I did field work this March for the first time in twelve years. Went to Trinidad.
    I worked in Trinidad in 2000. Oil? University?

Japan Exposures

In case the problem is "physical" i.e. the weight and volume of the equipment becomes a burden, there are only two long term options:

1) go lighter with something like digital or a "leightweight LF wonder cam"

2) shoot closer to home which may mean changing your subject matter

I suppose it is a question of your ultimate goals. Do you want to shoot LF or make images no matter what?

Personally I have decided (and found a quote from Szarkowski to that effect) that most of the photos that last, have been taken close to the center of life of the photographer.

You will have to compromise, sooner or later. You should stay healthy anyway, no matter what. Good luck.

We are safe to finish what we have to. (Edward Weston quoting Robinson Jeffers, I think).....
    The past is history, the future is mystery, now is a gift - that is why it is called the present. (Oogway, in Kung Fu Panda)

Cheers, DJ

Three months after my 51st birthday I had what is referred to as the widow maker, no warning other than fatigue. No high cholesterol (very low hdl however), no high blood pressure and no excessive weight, the Doctors said stress (Assisting my mother home care my father for years, he had recently passed).The Heart attack aged me tremendously. Two procedures and 4 stints later I work very hard at remaining healthy, albeit extensively medicated. I have been taking 80mg of Statin daily for years, twice the recommended FDA maximum dose. The side effects have been very bad and increasing over time including muscle lose, extreme weakness and pain , fatigue, skin rashes, memory loss and finally tremors. After repeated complaints to my Doctor, being told it is just something I would have to live with I found a new Doctor. My new Doctor cut my Statin dose in half a little over two months ago, I saw some improvement within three weeks. It has now been over 2 months and is truly like a miracle, no tremors or pain, gaining muscle and my thought process is clearing. I haven't felt this well in years.

My advise, if you need Statins make sure your doctor works to find the minimum dose needed.

P.S. Because of this I have given up many things, My 8x10 was Not one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Rösler View Post
    In case the problem is "physical" i.e. the weight and volume of the equipment becomes a burden, there are only two long term options:

1) go lighter with something like digital or a "leightweight LF wonder cam" 2) [...]
    When I lived in the High Plains Desert, I considered using a Jalbert Parafoil to lift equipment, or at least support half the weight. Seriously. But in the end I just flew big kites.