Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Solo Road Trips

Re: Solo Road Trips

If you contemplate traveling with a companion, be very careful in the selection! Better going solo than not having a patient and understanding person along --- photography can be a somewhat selfish activity and best accomplished without distraction or being rushed.
    Damn man you said it all!
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

2 Bit Hack

It appears that solo is the plan, except for the two dogs.
    I told one of them. She just sat there staring at me, panting with her tongue hanging out.
    The other is like a 4 year old on a sugar rush. I didn't even try.
    Right now I am looking for camper shells or bed covers.
    Regards

Marty

One of the best solo trips I took landed me in Santa Fe New Mexico on Christmas Eve. The celebrations at the Pueblos are really enchanting.
    Another memorable solo trip found me in Ouray Colorado shooting the frozen waterfall climbers at the ice park, then across the Four Corners to the South rim of the Grand Canyon.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

2 Bit Hack

I love Ouray but it will not be on the agenda for this trip. Durango is not bad either.
    Camper shells are not as cheap as they used to be.
    Regards

Marty

One thing to consider when traveling with a dog, is that some of the National Parks, do not permit dogs especially in the back country. Not sure how well the Rangers will enforce this policy. The no dog policy varies from one park to the next. Some National Parks require the dog to be on a six foot leash, at all times.

For cheap camper shells, check your local craigslist. I sold my camper shells by listing them on craigslist. One I sold for $40. I sold my heavy duty utility shell for just over $200. That shell I was hoping to make into an expedition type camper. Also, check out these truck tents, http://www.sportsmansguide.com/produ...?k=truck+tent+

One item you may consider installing in your vehicle, if you think that you will driving on remote dirt roads, is a CB radio. They are inexpensive and can get you out of a jam, should you be in an area where there isn't any cell phone reception, (Bodie Ghost Town, & Alabama Hills in the Eastern Sierras come to mind).
    The CB radio is a must with many off road clubs, for this very reason.

Best of luck with your travel plans,

Jose

Kevin Kolosky

The only problem with going alone is that you then have nobody to carry your gear for you while you are viewing the scene and looking for photographs to make.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin J. Kolosky View Post
    The only problem with going alone is that you then have nobody to carry your gear for you while you are viewing the scene and looking for photographs to make.
    Worse is that my donkey would nag me with comments like, "I hauled your stuff for nine miles so you could find the worst light?"

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin J. Kolosky View Post
    I have a personal theory about that. If its a paying job I will pay someone to assist me and carry gear. If its a personal project and I can't carry it then I am SOL whether someone is with me or not.....
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

I think I'd take one of these on a solo trip:

http://www.gizmag.com/delorme-inreac...igation/31789/

Kirk, I like the new profile photo. Anyone yet mention how much you resemble Clive Cussler?
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg