Page 35 of 39 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm a lens designer

Re: I'm a lens designer

You guys are a joy killer.

Also, you're totally lost, my initial request was for an adapter lens to essentially "enlarge" the image out of standard telescope that normally fits into a 35mm body, so the lens would only need to expand the visuals from an already created telescope image.

So this goes back to a 2000mm to 2600mm being enough for the moon with a normal lens. I don't know about lens design but I was under the impression that mirror lenses or refractive were often the norm for telescopes so all I'm looking for is essentially the "rear element" to put the image onto the film.

Heck I could probably get access to a telescope at an observatory, I just need the elements to adapt/enlarge the image onto sheet film, as I'm sure most modern observatories use smaller format digital devises.

This is a lens design thread, asking for this type of hard to come by element is just as valid as any other element IMO.

What you want is to "digiscope" with your LF camera into a telescope.

If you don't know what that is, Google it, but basically it's using a small p&s camera shoved up into a spotting scope, to take images of birds and wildlife with huge magnifications. Scale that up to what you want?

Still won't be worth it. No one wants that but you.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Also, you're totally lost, my initial request was for an adapter lens to essentially "enlarge" the image out of standard telescope that normally fits into a 35mm body, so the lens would only need to expand the visuals from an already created telescope image.
    Barlow lens, dodo.

I see Collodion Bastards have a plan to build 50 12" f3.6 Petzval repicas for ~$1K.

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...athering-Steam
    Tin Can

Seeds of curiosity, road to the joys of discovery and understanding and knowledge gained.

Rather than trying to give your daughter an image of the moon, the two of you should take a trip to the Hayden Planetarium (you're in NY correct) spend the day there exploring and learning about the cosmos together.

Once that is done, pick a copy of Neil deGrasse hosting the re-boot of COSMOS series and spent time together with your daughter watching it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2cNA7WuaQU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfUuj0YLmMg

What matter most here is supporting and cultivating that seed of curiosity and allowing it to grow into what ever it may be. Giving a printed image is one thing, a material thing, sharing time traveling the road of learning and discovery means much, much more and it is extremely likely there will be memories made that will last a lifetime.

Folks may not be remembered for their accomplishments, items produced, but they do remember how you made them feel.

The gift of knowledge endures and can last beyond a lifetime.

Bernice

Guys I just want to make a large print of the moon that I can give to my ex's 5 year old daughter as a gift because she is obsessed with the moon and stares out the window all the time at it.

I also enjoy the moon and howl at it from time to time, it calls to me.

Everything is unoriginal, shooting nudes is unoriginal, shooting flowers and ferns and mountains and trees is all unoriginal, heck re-making old lenses is unoriginal... But we do it because it makes us happy. Don't be a dream killer.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Barlow lens, dodo.
    A Barlow is just a low-power negative lens, if you can't find a ready-made example large enough.
    Newly made large format dry plates available! Look:
    https://www.pictoriographica.com

JUST FYI lomography is recreating brass petzval lenses
    http://www.dpreview.com/articles/342...85mm-f2-2-lens

Quote Originally Posted by cyrus View Post
    JUST FYI lomography is recreating brass petzval lenses
    http://www.dpreview.com/articles/342...85mm-f2-2-lens
    This was 6-8 months ago the product already exists and it's for 35mm and isn't actually a Petzval design it merely imitates the swirl effect, it's been slightly altered from the original Petzval design. Old news.

I'm with Stone, and just ordered a 1000mm double convex lens from Surplus Shed simply to shoot the moon with my 4x5. Simply for the joy of that. When I was ten or twelve I shot a solar eclipse though stacked negatives with my dad's Rolliecord, and have never forgotten the joy of that.

I really enjoy this thread.

This was 6-8 months ago the product already exists and it's for 35mm and isn't actually a Petzval design it merely imitates the swirl effect, it's been slightly altered from the original Petzval design. Old news.
    OH I didn't know these details (not following 35mm lens tech too carefully) Nevertheless is seems to indicate there's a goodly demand for old fashioned brass lenses that they've resorted to such imitations. The one I saw had waterhouse stops and everything.