Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 8x10 negative from digital file

Re: 8x10 negative from digital file

Try Cox B&W Lab in Sacramento. They have an LVT printer... http://www.coxblackandwhitelab.com/

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by SergeiR View Post
    I know person who does platinum printing printing 8x10 negs on his Epson printer (2880 i think)
    Quote Originally Posted by jp View Post
    What are you going to use the 8x10 negative for? If it's for archives, the lvt recorder option is solid. If it's for contact prints, an inkjet printed digital negative overhead film will be good. If it's for silver enlargement, you might investigate the silver printing from digital file services.
    Absolutely. I know a number of folks who print out their 8x10 or larger negative on an Epson 3880 for platinum or other alternate printing methods. The OP has not specified what process he intends to use for the 8x10 negs.

IIRC, Ian Mazursky was offering 8x10 negatives as one of his services:

http://www.prepressexpress.com/pages...put/index.html

(he's also a member here, on the forum)

-Dan

I have a few LVT's but I'm not yet calibrated for 8x10 negs. Calibrating for negs is a little more difficult and most people do not know how to generate customs LUT's for the device.

What part of Wisconsin are your from Bill? I live near madison.

bill

I'm in Waukesha, I do get to Madison often

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by 8x10 user View Post
    I have a few LVT's but I'm not yet calibrated for 8x10 negs. Calibrating for negs is a little more difficult and most people do not know how to generate customs LUT's for the device.

What part of Wisconsin are your from Bill? I live near madison.
    I used to thi that it would be as simple as inverting the image on photoshop and then printing on to the transparency sheet...apparently, as you've said, it's a lot more difficult than that...I've read that you need to use color inks to print out a B&W neg. Is that true? Something particularly to do with the green tint?

Quote Originally Posted by macolive View Post
    I used to thi that it would be as simple as inverting the image on photoshop and then printing on to the transparency sheet...apparently, as you've said, it's a lot more difficult than that...I've read that you need to use color inks to print out a B&W neg. Is that true? Something particularly to do with the green tint?
    Lvt's record a digital file onto film like tmx 100. There is no ink involved.

What type of color negative film do you prefer? I mostly use the LVTs for personal purposes right now but maybe we can work out a deal in exchange for the film and processing expenses involved in calibrating. The software comes with a basic lut which I can manually modify based on your results.

The super secret software that my dad uses to calibrate his MGI recorders is way better for custom LUT's but it only works for MGI (its better then the MGI's software as well). MGI recorders are of course the best for 35mm and medium format.

I actually became interested in large format many years ago while I was working with my Dad at his film output business.

Quote Originally Posted by macolive View Post
    apparently, as you've said, it's a lot more difficult than that...I've read that you need to use color inks to print out a B&W neg. Is that true? Something particularly to do with the green tint?
    If you want to use the inkjet printed transparency for anything (contact alternative process etc.), then yes, you need to apply compensation curves as the transparency and inkjet ink do not act like real negatives, unlike what is being asked in the original post.

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    Lvt's record a digital file onto film like tmx 100. There is no ink involved.
    I see. I'm a bit behind on the curve :-) Thanks!