Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Identifying Durst AR Glass

Identifying Durst AR Glass

So, I'm in a bit of a quandary. Years ago, I purchased two sheets of 10"x10" glass from the Durst graveyard in Hillsboro, Oregon. One was supposed to be regular Durst glass, and the second was marked "AR". But in comparing the two sheets of glass, reflections on all four sides look identical. However, comparing ANR Omega 4x5 glass with regular Omega 4x5 glass, reflections on one side of the ANR glass are blurry. (I'm comparing reflections of a ceiling light.)

As to my question, is it as easy to distinguish Durst AR from Durst non-AR glass as it is to distinguish Omega ANR Omega glass from Omega non-ANR glass? I'm wondering if, contrary to the labeling, I was sold two sheets of regular (non-AR) Durst glass.

I say "graveyard" above, because (I was told) this particular company had purchased all the parts, design rights, and remaining 8x10 enlargers from Durst, when Durst went out of business. It was quite something to see all of these huge 8x10 enlargers, accessories, and related equipment in one large warehouse.

Re: Identifying Durst AR Glass

All the AN glass i have is pretty obvious.

I have original Omega and Durst AN glass and I also have replacement glass from FPoint. In all cases, the image you see when you look through it is blurry. It is pretty obvious.
    The Durst glass indicates "AN" on the package, not "AR."
    I did not know Durst offered AR glass but it would be difficult to tell that from regular glass. AR glass is coated rather than pitted. I have never used AR glass, maybe you could let us know if it is any better or worse than AN. Jens has ideas on the topic: http://www.durst-pro-usa.com/glass.php

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3a5ac3e1-f566-427d-baef-d10208061e2b.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	27.0 KB 
ID:	124955

Drew Wiley

All true anti-newton glass will have a soft reflection on the AN side. Authentic Durst as well as Omega AN glass is an especially high quality type that has a barely perceptible wave-like pattern to it, versus just overall tiny dimpling as in generic AN glass. Both these brands of glass have a very slight green to them, just like thin float glass. They are not optically coated, though they are flatter and more optically precise than ordinary float glass. I have never had any luck substituting coated AR glass for true AN (and I have tried a lot of em!). With large format negs, I find that the generic AN glass from Focal Point works perfectly well. But when push comes to shove, like when printing little med format negs using high MFT enlarging lenses, the brand name Durst glass is less likely to reveal the AN pattern in textureless areas of a high contrast print.

Drew Wiley

Ooop... Freudian slip. I mean't MTF lenses, obviously. "MFT" is the designation of an equipment table I sell here during the day.

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    I have original Omega and Durst AN glass and I also have replacement glass from FPoint. In all cases, the image you see when you look through it is blurry. It is pretty obvious.
    The Durst glass indicates "AN" on the package, not "AR."
    I did not know Durst offered AR glass but it would be difficult to tell that from regular glass. AR glass is coated rather than pitted. I have never used AR glass, maybe you could let us know if it is any better or worse than AN. Jens has ideas on the topic: http://www.durst-pro-usa.com/glass.php
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3a5ac3e1-f566-427d-baef-d10208061e2b.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	27.0 KB 
ID:	124955
    Actually, the "AR" was hand written. But the "Durst" was printed in color.

I'll look again, taking into consideration responses written here. Hopefully, what I have is the real thing. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post
    I'll look again, taking into consideration responses written here. Hopefully, what I have is the real thing. Thanks
    The AR is different of the AN. See this Durst Pro lesson #13 about glass http://www.durst-pro-usa.com/resourc...#TabbedPanels1
    My Lumen project http://ginetteclement.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ginette View Post
    The AR is different of the AN. See this Durst Pro lesson #13 about glass http://www.durst-pro-usa.com/resourc...#TabbedPanels1
    All good advice. Thanks for sharing.
    Tin Can

Drew Wiley

Durst never made an AR glass. That was coated Schott glass hypothetically being marketed by an individual. I don't know if any was actually delivered.