Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Site Running Slowly?

Re: Site Running Slowly?

First of all we need to know the exact reason of the problems with the site. "I believe it may be due to" is not enough reason to move the site elsewhere. Imagine, you do that and the problems come back. Then what?

I don't want to see ads, I just want to help, if possible, maintain the site at an optimal level.
    If a little extra money would ensure trouble-free use, I am more than happy to contribute; this forum has given us all a lot.

As has been mentioned before, the forum has operated for years on server space and bandwidth that is donated to us. Although the occasional sluggish response, or lack of access due to system-level processes can be frustrating, real improvement over what we have now would be expensive. We would have to move to one of the service centers that offer redundant servers in a fail-safe environment manned by savvy system administrators 24/7. Those services are designed for commercial use, and would likely cost $5,000 to $10,000 per month. Realistically, that sort of budget would require a predictably stable income flow associated with a fully-commercialized operation - some combination of paid memberships for everyone and lots of advertising. That, in turn, would pretty much destroy the current nature of the forum.

There are some servers capable of running this site under cpanel which aren't in that price range. I'll see if I can find the ones suggested to me when I was having problems with the forum I run that's on vBulletin. There are also different ways to do the backups, I think. How it's done might affect downtime of the rest of the site. Or just tell people ahead of time when it's going to be done and suggest we all get out and shoot instead of sitting on our butts at the computer.

Quote Originally Posted by hoffner View Post
    First of all we need to know the exact reason of the problems with the site...
    You, like the rest of us, are here solely due to the generosity of this site's owner/benefactor/operators. Neither you nor any of us need to know anything more about the site than that. You might want to know, but tough luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Barker View Post
    ...would require a predictably stable income flow associated with a fully-commercialized operation - some combination of paid memberships for everyone and lots of advertising. That, in turn, would pretty much destroy the current nature of the forum.
    Which is why everyone should be eternally grateful for the way things are now and stop whining about occasional outages. Again, the most valuable aspect of this forum is its non-commercial nature.

Quote Originally Posted by Winger View Post
    ...There are also different ways to do the backups, I think. How it's done might affect downtime of the rest of the site. Or just tell people ahead of time when it's going to be done and suggest we all get out and shoot instead of sitting on our butts at the computer.
    That's the best post I've seen on this subject. Volunteerism has always been the essence of our community/forum. Plus, you've reinforced the idea that large format photography defines what we do, not Internet chatter about large format photography. Thanks Bethe!

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    I don't want to see ads, I just want to help, if possible, maintain the site at an optimal level.
    If a little extra money would ensure trouble-free use, I am more than happy to contribute; this forum has given us all a lot.
    +1

I am in the Internet business, and to a certain extent if things can be run reliably it will reduce labor, volunteer labor in this case. Much gratitude. I appreciate it being noncommercial as well. Probably more than a few people here in the same line of business as I would gladly advise or assist in solutions if any are needed.

fwiw, this site has a 'list/tree view' in Safari but looks fine and normal on Firefox. Not sure why..
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Quote Originally Posted by Fred L View Post
    fwiw, this site has a 'list/tree view' in Safari but looks fine and normal on Firefox. Not sure why..
    I'm on Safari and it's fine now. Every once in a while, I have a site start to load that way then switch to normal after I click something. I've usually figured it was our lame web service.

problems here or problems not................

it matter's not imo, there's no tearing rush to sort out problems, we should all sing from the same sheet and be permanently grateful that there's this wonderful site

and I'm totally with Sal

regards

andrew