Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flange fixing screws for wood lens board

Flange fixing screws for wood lens board

Does anyone know where to get those tiny self-tapping screws that fix the lens flange onto a wood board?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	big_1.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	76.2 KB 
ID:	124589

Thanks.

Re: Flange fixing screws for wood lens board

Most hardware stores.

Analog Photographer Kimberly Anderson's Avatar

lecarp wins the internet for the day.

I'd use machine screws and either blind nuts or standard nuts and washers. I'd only use wood screws if I were making a display camera.

I bought some pretty brass ones that worked great at the local Mom and Pop hardware store here in town. Most stores have an entire wall of bins holding bulk nuts, bolts, screws and so forth. That's where you look.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

The single slot wood brass screws have gone from most retail outlets (Europe, anyway). Holes must be drilled in mahogany/walnut lens boards as the fixing screws are quite close to the central flanmge thread holes. I have seen plenty of flange screws that have started a grain split - effecting security and/or light tightness.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    The single slot wood brass screws have gone from most retail outlets (Europe, anyway).
    How strange. I wonder what other common things are gone from European shops.

Holes must be drilled in mahogany/walnut lens boards as the fixing screws are quite close to the central flanmge thread holes. I have seen plenty of flange screws that have started a grain split - effecting security and/or light tightness.
    I have never had such problems with brass wood screws. Always drill pilot holes, then lubricate the screw with a touch of bar soap before seating it, and never over-tighten. For very heavy lenses use what ic-racer does.

I've never had any luck finding really small wood screws at hardware stores or even hobby shops. Here is a chart giving head diameters of different number wood screws:

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...t.do?docId=270

Once you find the # size screw you need then you can search online for a source. MSC here:

http://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn/F...848+4287869444

has down to #2 size, but that may not be small enough.

But I agree with ic-racer that machine screws with nuts on the rear of the lens board is much more secure. Small flat head machine screws and nuts you may be able to find at a hobby shop. They would also have really small drill bits to drill through your board and small bottles of flat black paint to paint the nuts and washers on the back of the board. You can do a search for "machine screw sizes" to find a chart of diameters of smaller sizes. Once you know the size you need you can search online if you can't find any locally. MSC may have small machine screws.

Len

Analog Photographer Kimberly Anderson's Avatar

I'm going to apologize and remember that not everyone has access to or knowledge of where to find such items. I do find it amazing that simple brass screws are hard to find. But...I am missing context. If he were able to find them he wouldn't be asking. I know I ask plenty that to some is a no-brainer but to others seems like black magic.

Good luck on the hunt.

I will add though, that I have split out at least one mahogany lens board along the grain because the pilot hole I did make was just a tad too small. I ended up not using wood screws but did in fact use machine screws and nuts that were loc-tite'd on.

The lens board that was nearest to me is a good example of screw damage!

"Mom and Pop stores" with 40 year old inventory disappeared with the mortality of their owners and increasing demands on shop turnover due to high rents!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails woodscrew.jpg