Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Portrait Background Recommendations

Portrait Background Recommendations

I'd like to get a fabric background for portraits. It wouldn't need to be super big, as it would be used for head'n'shoulders or a little more. Ideally, it'd be fairly portable. Anyone have suggestions for something that they like for this? Probably a softly mottled gray....
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Re: Portrait Background Recommendations

I found a great wealth of options at the local fabric store. Find a style you like and buy a few yards. There are many, many options.

Tim
    www.ScottPhoto.co

I was using studio grey paper and now I use flat black paper and I find it can change from light grey to black with a adjustable background light.

I know, not rocket science, but I seem to be revisiting everything I think I once knew.

Ah senility!
    Tin Can

I do have rolls of seamless, but as my "studio" is my living room, I'd like something smaller. DIY fabric is fine, and I have a bunch, but I dont' have the space to store it on rolls, and so there's always a bunch of wrinkles. I also do a bunch of corporate head shots on location, usually without a nice space to setup. I'm considering one of the Savage or Westcott collapsible setups.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”

Those are nice, any way we can reduce footprint and weight is a consideration in LF and any commercial endeavor.

I also 'want' one of those. Let us know what you choose.

Thanks
    Tin Can

Pick up a cotton drop cloth from the hardware store, and a pint sized can of paint in your chosen color/shade. Thin it down and apply the necessary amount of coats required to get the density needed. I've made a few of these using a sponge to "dapple" some secondary, complimentary color if you want to go for the slightly mottled look.

This video talks about making one(starting around the 1:35 mark):
    http://youtu.be/9lkvlcP6XjQ

That's if you're alright with DIY style

To avoid the linear wrinkles of a backdrop stored folded up, try storing it crumpled up. I find a random pattern, especially on a dark backdrop, more pleasing than a flat backdrop or linear wrinkles.

A frame consisting of two uprights and a horizontal bar can be leaned against a wall to support a backdrop. This frame can easily be improvised from PVC pipe or electrical conduit, and requires little storage space.

A window shade works beautifully. Build a small frame to hold it behind the sitter. Light it well if yo want light or white background, and move it back and insure no light falls on it for a dark gray or black background. It will never be wrinkled and is small and easy to store.

If the background is to be out of focus, you might consider a very lite fabric hung on a pole; and add a bit of wind from a fan, for example, to keep it moving slightly. Any creases/wrinkles will then be unnoticeable.
    Last edited by Doug Howk; 2-Nov-2014 at 16:14.
    van Huyck Photography
    "Searching for the moral justification for selfishness" JK Galbraith

Thanks for the ideas. The background will always be as out-of-focus as I can get it. I would like it to be a very soft mottled gray. My experience with tie-dying lead to lots of distracting elements. I can always add a brighter spot through lighting, and I can change the color with lighting gels, if needed.