Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Correct safelight for Agfa HDR-C Mammography film?

Correct safelight for Agfa HDR-C Mammography film?

Hi all,
    got a box of 18x 24 cm mammography film, Agfa HDR-C. I did two tests with yellow gelatine over a red bulb and with a bare red bulb, both more then one meter away, indirect lighting the working area, apparently weak (15 watt) and fogged both sheets.
    Since I have to cut the sheets to fit 4x5 film holders and is a pain to work in the dark, I'd like to ask you experts in mammography film shooting what's the correct safelight? Or am I doomed to complete darkness?

Re: Correct safelight for Agfa HDR-C Mammography film?

I don't know of any red bulb that is safe for photographic purposes. Did you try an OC filter?

Some things that emit red light aren't as monochromatic as you need for green sensitive xray film. Try taking a CD into your darkroom, and see what colors of light (or how many bands) are reflected on the surface of the CD. A pure red LED should emit on only one band, a filtered incandescent bulb can be much wider spectrum. Red LED bulbs are available that are good for darkroom work - and some that aren't.

It's possible you've lucked into some panchromatic film, which is great. The usual suggestion is to buy a roller cutter, and tape bumpers to the bed, so that you can line up the film by feel in total darkness. I wouldn't feel lucky about using a free blade or guillotine cutter in the dark.

I'm taking a guillotine and taped a plastic rule over to serve as a stop. It worked first time but man...
    I had just developed a pinhole shot I did at my balcony. The sheet is washing as I type. The film is GREAT. Fine grain. Contrast just right. Souped in Parodinal for 12 min. First sheet at 7 min was to thin. Exposed 100 ISO. No reciprocity. I'm really excited with my "discovery".

I have a dozen of these in a 600 sq ft space. I like them.

Read the X-ray threads it's all there.
    Tin Can

In red?

Yes, in red. Click on the tiny red square under "select color". That changes the part number and UPC to this:
    Part Number: E27-R8-G
    UPC: 847781014778

Sounds like great film! I'm quite excited for you.

Yep RED, look at the info on it, it has a wavelength perfect for paper and X-Ray, old timers prefer yellow, but I prefer red and consider it 'safer'.

I put them in the cheap Home Depot work light reflectors for directional usage and keep them 4 ft away.

They use so little power I leave them on most of the time.

Some are in Kodak Bullet cans for nostalgia. I wish i had more Kodak bullet cans. Much cooler looking and the wall bracket is genius.
    Tin Can

Thanks for the input, gents.

I just discovered that my red bulb is (moderately) fogging the xray film. I bought some red led from a hardware store and is fogging the film big time. The E27 LED Bulb, 8 LED - Red Part Number: E27-R8-GUPC: 847781014778 from superbrightleds.com everybody is happy with works only at 120V.

Can you recommend a good red led available in europe (220V) - ideally easy to buy online from amazon.co.uk or from china shop like banggood, I don't want to spend money and time testing every red bulb available locally. Thank you.