Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unknown 8x10 camera

Unknown 8x10 camera

Does anyone recognize this camera? It's most likely 8x10" format, but I'm pretty lost as to who could have manufactured it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8x10camera1.JPG 
Views:	114 
Size:	59.3 KB 
ID:	124253 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8x10camera2.JPG 
Views:	105 
Size:	74.4 KB 
ID:	124254 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8x10camera3.JPG 
Views:	104 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	124255

loujon

Re: Unknown 8x10 camera

It may be an 8x10 version of the Japanese made Prinz View which was a dual rail 4x5.

Lou, doesn't the Prinz View use a central leadscrew for focusing?

(Shrek)
    Someone hacked a The Brand Camera Co and changed the front lens board assembly & possibly the back. The twin rails and focusing mechanism are unique I think. I had a The Brand 17 at one point, though I never actually used it. It had a rotating back arrangement and no bail.

It just looks too good to be a DIY hack, and according to the almighty Web, Prinz View in 8x10 was something altogether different. No results at all for Brand Press View / 17 in 8x10. The back definitely doesn't seem home-made, and is almost certainly metal. Puzzling.

Do you have more detailed pics of how the back is attached to the frame and standard?
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Jody_S View Post
    Someone hacked a The Brand Camera Co and changed the front lens board assembly & possibly the back. The twin rails and focusing mechanism are unique I think. I had a The Brand 17 at one point, though I never actually used it. It had a rotating back arrangement and no bail.
    I agree with you. I recognise parts from a Brand camera, mostly the rails. The back is more modern and DIY added. It's basically a bastard.

The beast focuses by rack and pinion on one of the two tubes. The Brand 17, IIRC, focuses with a central lead screw and has cast standards; the beast's standards are quite different.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Do you have more detailed pics of how the back is attached to the frame and standard?
    Unfortunately, I don't.

The camera is vaguely familiar particularly the side view (1st image), it's not the first dual rail lf camera I've seen. After WWII there were quite a a lot of short lived companies making & selling cameras mostly 35mm and medium format but a few making LF camera. I'm more familiar with UK products mainly because I have every British Journal Photographic Almanac from about 1935 to 1963.

I've no time at the moment to look, two names come immediately to mind Barco & Criterion, but there were a few more British companies.

Just adding that's a UK company Criterion not an a much earlier US copmpany of the same name.

Ian
    Last edited by IanG; 31-Oct-2014 at 12:21. Reason: add