Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mortensen, the Antichrist...

Re: Mortensen, the Antichrist...

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    I ordered it and 'American Grotesque'.

Cheaper on Amazon that the publisher.

Then I put a link on Facebook and certain relatives are taking Antichrist very seriously. They said AA was right in condemning Mortensen...
    That publisher is.. odd.. They added whole bunch of stuff in The Command to Look about satanists movement and application of Mortensen's theories there.. But hey.. Its a better reproduction than one i had in PDF, so i got it

Quote Originally Posted by SergeiR View Post
    That publisher is.. odd.. They added whole bunch of stuff in The Command to Look about satanists movement and application of Mortensen's theories there.. But hey.. Its a better reproduction than one i had in PDF, so i got it
    I agree the publisher is very odd and playing right into the fears expressed here and on my FB.
    Tin Can

I have first printings of all of Mortensen's books. It is not unusual for me to pull one out for refresher information concerning lighting or image design. His information about exposure and development can also be valuable in unusual situations. The reprints I have seen have bastardized his work by the use of poor image printing techniques and adding text which he did not include. He was an artist first, and a photographer second. His subject matter has to be considered based on the time in which he lived. Witchcraft and sorcery were topics of discussion in books and magazines considerably more than is true today. Even children's books often followed these themes.
    His explanation of the basics of the ZOne System are accurate and easy to understand. He didn't call it the ZOne System but that is what it is.
    I wish I could get to this exhibition, but know that is impossible.

SergeiR recommended Mortensen to me some time ago, I find THe Model and other Mortensen books the best available from any era.

Only last week I was rereading The Model backwards. (Obviously seeking Satanic Secrets) But no, I often read books backwards and I was very glad I read Appendix A 'The Rights of the Model'. Appendix B and C also must reads. Including, "Butchery by Light'.
    Tin Can

This thread makes me wanna go grab the first book of his that's available(whichever one). Ill try to see if any of the galleries might have a print here or if not try the libraries for his books.
    Quite interested to see how he explains the zone system (and the bit on models).

Those are some pretty powerful images. Shock value, horror, gore, sex and violence are the coin of the realm these days. Mortensen would fit right in.

Get The Model first. After that, if you're interested in lighting, then get Pictorial Lighting. If you're more interested in film exposure and development, then get Mortensen on the Negative. I agree with Jim that earlier editions are generally better.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Rust View Post
    Those are some pretty powerful images. Shock value, horror, gore, sex and violence are the coin of the realm these days. Mortensen would fit right in.
    Nothing is new, study ancient art and the themes are there also. In fact some museums hide ancient erotic art as unsuitable for viewing.
    Tin Can

Thanks Peter, I shall do that.

There are a couple online versions:

https://archive.org/search.php?query...%2C+William%22
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know