Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Filters for air compressor

Filters for air compressor

I recently picked up a oil less compressor on craigslist (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Californi...610A/202977397 ) and am looking for advice on what filters to buy to safely blow off dust.

This will be used primarily for cleaning off scanning drums,mylar and holders. Any advice on specific brands, etc would be appreciated!

Thanks

Rob

Re: Filters for air compressor

The intake should have a filter on it. Are you looking for an in-line filter?

Honestly, I don't know. I just want to avoid spraying water onto a negative. Everything I've read indicates that some kind of particulate filter/desiccant is necessary to ensure nothing but air is coming out. I bought a cheap Kobalt air filter at Lowe's but Im thinking I need something more

Thanks

Drew Wiley

The intake air filter is built on, but replaceable if necessary. Like all compressors, you will need to drain the tanks frequently of condensed water using the draincock at the bottom. The additional air filtration you need obviously goes to the exit side, past the regulator. You won't find the right kind at any home center, but can get fine filtration ones from Grainger of McMaster. Use 1/4"NPT brass fittings to put things together, not steel, to prevent rust. Your minor fittings downstream should be cleaned with solvent to remove residual mfg oil. That particular compressor is oiless, so that simplifies things a bit, and has two little pumps to keep the heat down, so water condensation in the lines should not be a major issue. The solenoid valve is a bit dicey, but that's a warranty issue if it goes. For film work you'll want to keep the regulator set at relatively low line pressure, maybe around 30 PSI. Just remember that contamination can occur anywhere, and that the blowgun, air hose, etc. all need to be clean.

There are final filters for automotive paint spray guns available for very little at parts stores. They are made for cleaning and drying any contaminants generated in the hose.

While now unavailable, banned by OSHA I believe, I have several pen size blow guns that are extremely adjustable. I can turn my 100 psi down to a tiny puff as the nozzle. It is such low pressure and volume you could probably put it in your ear, however that would be very stupid as it also can produce full line pressure. I am simply trying to show how controllable some blow guns can be. For me these tiny blow guns work way better than canned air of any other blow gun and i have a few. These were sold by SNAP-ON years ago, They even have pen clips to fit in a shirt pocket.

Car painters also use only new, clean, dry and has never been an oil compressor air hose.

Much of this stuff is all different now with the advent of low pressure high volume painting.

My car painting ended 25 years ago.
    Tin Can

Thanks for your responses. So do I want something like this? http://www.mcmaster.com/#air-compressor-filters/=uclat7
    Do people use multiple filters in case something gets by the first line of defense? I was excited to free myself from cans of air but now I'm getting a little paranoid about ruining a negative.

Yes, people use all that stuff.

However you have a oil less compressor, so you don't need a oil luber or oil removal filter.

You need to follow Drew's advice. Drain the compressor tank WEEKLY, then use these perhaps, but of course you don't need a lunbricator. New clean hose, short as possible, but long enough to get the compressor away from the work. My pancake air compressor is under a DR sink and always on. I have all connections very tight and leakproof and it only turns on when I fill bicycle tires or use the blow gun.
    Tin Can

You might want to look into air filters for airbrushing, they may be cheaper than getting an industrial air compressor filter from Grainger or McMaster
    Dick Blick is one place to start looking for those. The outgoing air filter needs to drained occasionally too, not just the tank.
    If you want to have completely dry air then you would need a desiccant filter set up on the intake of the compressor
    be prepared to spend mucho dinero for those fllters.

A filter is probably not needed, you probably want a desiccant dryer. Otherwise you will spray water vapor on your stuff.

Ok, I think I will order one of the cheaper dessicant dryer from McMaster Carr (http://www.mcmaster.com/#air-compressor-dryers/=ud2i7i)
    and one of their standard air filters just for peace of mind. Ill spend more on filters than on the compressor, but it seems worth it.

Thanks again for the input

Rob