Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vacuum those film holders then Vac-seal them

Rio Oso shooter

Vacuum those film holders then Vac-seal them

I have never see a post on this proceedure but, as we all know we fight dirt on our film at all stages of the process and I have discovered a very good way that really helps. Of course I vacuum and blow out my holders, then put in the film, and then I used to just put them in my bag. I have found that if I vacuum seal them individually in a vacuum bag (like a seal-a-meal) that there is a tremendous gain in dust reduction. I have been using this procedure for about four months and it has made an unbelievable difference in the quality of the images. I am guessing that dust would just get into the cracks of the slides.....and huge number of other places that dirt and dust could lodge. I shoot 4x5 and the last batch that I scanned I literally had only about 10 minor spots on the majority of my transparencies. Give it a try!

Take Care,
    Richard

Re: Vacuum those film holders then Vac-seal them

If you remove all of the air, the dark slide would come in contact with your film. I'm guessing you aren't removing all of the air?
    Many of us just put each holder in a anti-static ziploc type bag or regular ziploc. Much cheaper, reusable, and resealable in the field.

Drew Wiley

I load mine in a true clean room. The holders themselves are blown out immediately adjacent to an industrial air cleaner. Cameras and holders are totally cleaned before and after each trip. Conditions vary dramatically. Sometimes in the mountains dust is almost nonexistent. But down on clay playas in the desert, esp in winter, in can help to actually ground the back of a metal camera using an nail, some speaker wire, and an alligator clip, to prevent static charge building up on the film. And I treat all the holders anyway with anti-static spray. Lots of things you can do to minimize dust.

My method is pretty simple. To control dust on my film I first wipe down my film loading area with a damp cloth. I then wipe the entire film holder (including the slide) with tac-cloth, bought from a local paint store. Works really well. All holders (loaded and unloaded) are kept inside a ziplock bag (for 8x10 as well).

I vacuum mine with a small shop vac. I put the vacuum outside my bedroom door and close the door as much as possible with just the hose coming into the room to keep the vacuum from stirring up dust in the bedroom. I then immediately load my film holders in a Harrison tent. After loaded I place the holders in separate anti static ziplock bags.

I live in St. Louis, Mo. U.S.A. with high humidity summers.

I use disposable anti-static cling dusters, the ones with no polish or scent. They work very well. Then the 4x5s go into an ammo box. 8x10 into a zipped bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    I load mine in a true clean room. The holders themselves are blown out immediately adjacent to an industrial air cleaner. Cameras and holders are totally cleaned before and after each trip. Conditions vary dramatically. Sometimes in the mountains dust is almost nonexistent. But down on clay playas in the desert, esp in winter, in can help to actually ground the back of a metal camera using an nail, some speaker wire, and an alligator clip, to prevent static charge building up on the film. And I treat all the holders anyway with anti-static spray. Lots of things you can do to minimize dust.
    Wow, Drew! That would be nice. Do you have a clean room at work that you have access to?

Obviously location makes a huge difference.

Might help as Drew has done to add your locations. Indoors, studio, desert, humid south, etc. including weather, as cold dry air is dustland.

i primarily shoot inside my Chicago studio and dust has not been a huge problem with normal humidity.

I keep my DDS in clean closed industrial cases, each sized appropriately. Lenses go in tool boxes. They get dusty too.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by riooso View Post
    I have never see a post on this proceedure but, as we all know we fight dirt on our film at all stages of the process and I have discovered a very good way that really helps. Of course I vacuum and blow out my holders, then put in the film, and then I used to just put them in my bag. I have found that if I vacuum seal them individually in a vacuum bag (like a seal-a-meal) that there is a tremendous gain in dust reduction.

Take Care,
    Richard
    Unfortunately, from the technical point of view, the vacuum packing doesn't help the cleanliness in anything. As soon as you open the bag, it sucks all the surrounding air (and its dust too) right where you didn't want to have it.

Vacuum those film holders then Vac-seal them

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    I keep my DDS in clean closed industrial cases, each sized appropriately. Lenses go in tool boxes. They get dusty too.
    FWIW, there are common military ammo cans that fit 4x5 holders perfectly and they have air sealing.

I have to check again but I think they hold at least ten DSL holders.