Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: DIY Wooden Studio Stand?

Re: DIY Wooden Studio Stand?

Quote Originally Posted by plaubel View Post
    [...]
    But at next, I have to lock the camera at the front copperbar, to avoid accident caused by gravitation.[...]
    How about making a wooden platform that attaches to the camera. It can be held to the bottom of the camera rails by many means, then add squared detents to the bottom of the platform which fit 1/2 a rod's depth to discourage quick motion and movement while in position.

(Your camera could use such a platform in any event. Perhaps add a couple of tripod holes four future use using T-nuts from the camera side, top of plate.)

Not sure, if my translation and understanding is correct...

Wooden plattform seems to be a great idea, but i fear, that the camera construction itself is some difficult for using a total plattform.

One part of the camera moves, until the other part stands still.
    With total movement, the complete camera has a length of nearly 120cm ; so it must become shiftable, forwards and backwards, each side 60cm from the middle of the stand.

Another small problem is:
    If the camera stands horizontal, the distance between the copper is nearly 40cm. Not much, I know. But there wasn't other wood for the stand available.

If it is diagonal, this distance will grow up, it may become 50cm ore more.
    That's the reason why I have to fix only one side of the camera, in my case the front, because I want the back moving instead of the front, while focusing.

I probably will use only small wood peaces and something to lock.

Cheers,
    Ritchie

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    I like it. I guess one person can move a heavy camera step by step up and dowel?

I never would have dreamed up that design.

Thanks for sharing.
    when working in a power plant, the riggers used a jacking frame to lift up the reactor and steam generators one link at a time. Pretty cool. The Egyptians used the same method to build the pyramids.

m
    Michael Cienfuegos

Quote Originally Posted by plaubel View Post
    Not sure, if my translation and understanding is correct...

Wooden plattform seems to be a great idea, but i fear, that the camera construction itself is some difficult for using a total plattform.

One part of the camera moves, until the other part stands still....

Cheers,
    Ritchie
    thank you for sharing your designs and photos. I may borrow your idea. I am sure we can make improvements to this design but it is certainly a good start. I suppose if i need to move the camera down a few slots, I will first move the back down a few slots followed by the front? Or do i remove the camera and shift the 2 copper rods before moving the camera back?

Feel free to use and to improve this thing.
    Of cause, a lot of improvement is able there, but for me the important thing was the quick time of realization.

I don't know about the possibilities of your camera, maybe you can find a better solution.

Yes, the idea is a the step- by- step solution for moving up and down, and the ability for non-horizontal position.
    No interest in removing the whole camera :-)

Front wheels only move in forward/backward direction, the rear wheels are able do describe circles.
    So, I hope for better stability during driving around my apartment.

A little break for park and shoot seems to be necessary, too.
    Perhaps I will use a screw and a piece of wood, wheeling up and down for lifting the rear wheels from the ground.

Oh, and there is a need for distancing the camera from the sides of the wooden stand, so I only will lock some other wood at the camera, filling the distances.

Cheers,
    Ritchie

found some pictures and text explaining a few vintage tripod stand design : http://www.gutenberg.org/files/42982...#CAMERA_STANDS

Quote Originally Posted by pound View Post
    found some pictures and text explaining a few vintage tripod stand design : http://www.gutenberg.org/files/42982...#CAMERA_STANDS
    Wonderful free book, written in modern english with great advice and methods right off the bat. I am just into the first few pages on dry glass plates and I am really excited.

I was looking for just this info!

Thanks for the link!
    Tin Can

I just skimmed 500 pages of this 1887 book. I sure wish I had this book 3 years ago as it would have saved me endless hours deducing what is plainly represented.

This book link should get a sticky or high place in the forum/

Pound I suggest you submit this link to the MODs for easier access.

So very informative on every aspect of LF photography!
    Tin Can

Ok i will start a thread on historical books under the Resource section. There are quite a few 19th century photography manuals which you can download freely from a few sites. This is one of them, a 800+pages book : https://archive.org/details/bookofphotograph00hasl

If available as a PDF, i will usually download and keep it as a local copy for future references.

Quote Originally Posted by pound View Post
    Ok i will start a thread on historical books under the Resource section. There are quite a few 19th century photography manuals which you can download freely from a few sites. This is one of them, a 800+pages book : https://archive.org/details/bookofphotograph00hasl

If available as a PDF, i will usually download and keep it as a local copy for future references.
    Great! And thanks again. This book should be required reading for photography students. Very well written with great 'cuts' which are wood cuts of drawings I presume.

Now I must get back to my Dark Chamber. LOL

Tin Can