Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Using 6x12 panorama back on 4x5 - workflow question

Using 6x12 panorama back on 4x5 - workflow question

This is my first post on the forum. I'm interested in a Dayi 6x12 roll film holder, mainly for landscapes, and have questions about how is it actually used in the field.

My field camera is a Chamonix 045F1 4x5. The Dayi roll film holder is supposed to fit any graflok back. However, the ground glass (and its frame) has to be removed in order to insert the roll film holder. Maybe I'm missing something, but a workflow that requires removing the ground glass frame every time, putting in the roll film holder, replacing the ground glass frame, removing the ground glass frame again, etc. for each photo seems kind of cumbersome. Is that what you do?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Using 6x12 panorama back on 4x5 - workflow question

Some roll film holders are designed to slip in like a sheet film holder. Others do require the removal of the groundglass and yep, that's just how you have to work. Kinda lame. I have a series that I shot all on the Horseman 6x12 back and once you get in the habit it's not that big a deal.

I think the Cambo holder suppose to work without removing the GG. Someone is selling one here or at APUG right now.

I figure that I may as well just take my 617 in that case. Just another 2+ lbs more.

To add to the above: yes, it is what you do. If that's too cumbersome you can use a 6x12 slide-in holder - Cambo/Calumet or Sinar Panorama/Vario/Zoom/Zoom2.

Quote Originally Posted by richardman View Post
    I think the Cambo holder suppose to work without removing the GG. Someone is selling one here or at APUG right now.

I figure that I may as well just take my 617 in that case. Just another 2+ lbs more.
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...m-holder-C-243
    My Lumen project http://ginetteclement.com

OP, insertion type roll holders that fit 4x5 backs are too large to fit in a pocket. If you had one, where would you put it while you focused and composed?

So the workflow is to remove the GG frame between every shot. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. I had not seen the Cambo C-243, which looks interesting. Also appreciated seeing the series shot with the Horseman back, which reinforces my interest in the 6x12 format. Thanks again for the quick replies.

Yeah, I love the format... which is what lead me to my 4x10.

Quote Originally Posted by dismalhiker View Post
    So the workflow is to remove the GG frame between every shot. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. I had not seen the Cambo C-243, which looks interesting. Also appreciated seeing the series shot with the Horseman back, which reinforces my interest in the 6x12 format. Thanks again for the quick replies.
    No. You do it whenever you recompose. You don't do it between every shot when you bucket. And many people do bracket.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    No. You do it whenever you recompose. You don't do it between every shot when you bucket. And many people do bracket.
    Good point. That's what I meant (recompose). I didn't think about bracketing. Thanks!