Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: lightweight 4x5

lightweight 4x5

Wista SP - metal, lighter than a Technika, and excellent durabilty and workmanship... Toyos are OK too. But you can build an Arca to be very light - all it takes is money - a 4x5 to 6x9 bellows field camera with a short rail is pretty light. All good.

lightweight 4x5

I took my Walker Titan to Burma in a shoulder bag, it worked great. Handles all of my lenses, from 65mm to 450mm (the latter focuses in to at least 15 feet). Not as light as my Gowland, but it does have a Grafloc back. I'm afraid that Grafloc and ultra-light may be mutually exclusive.

If you become interested in the Canham 5x17 rollfilm holder, be aware that there is a special Walker 5x7 Extra Wide which is designed specifically around that holder. Www.walkercameras.com

lightweight 4x5

If you don't need a lot of movements, the Gandolfi traditional might suit you well. I have the 5x7 and it weighs in a around 4 lbs. I don't know if they come standard with a graflock back, but since they are made to order, I'm sure that's an option. I have one that is who knows how old and it is rock solid and lightweight, a great combo!

Isaac

lightweight 4x5

Just a few more responses and we'll have the market covered, as usual.

Octogenarian

lightweight 4x5

Hi Herb,

I agree with Steve's recommendation for the Ebony RW45. It meets with all of your parameters . Get one that is equipped with the universal bellows. Jim, at Midwest Photo Exchange (jim@mpex.com) is expecting a shipment of Ebonys at the end of next week. He will probably be glad to take your Wisner in trade toward the Ebony.

lightweight 4x5

I hope you are getting a cut Eugene - Jim must have a waiting list with all the folks you've sent his way... :-)
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Octogenarian

lightweight 4x5

P.S. There's a WTB add for a 4x5 Wisner running in the photo.net classifies. You should be able to sell your Wisner for close to the price of a new Ebony RW45.

lightweight 4x5

Well Herb, you've heard it all. Although, if I had to pick one camera to be my one and only, to try and do it all, it would have to be an Arca Swiss F line. My work is too diverse to be satisfied with just one 4x5. From what you describe I would say you have 3 choices. They are the Tachihara, the Wista DXII(no rear shift resulting in more stability), and the Ebony RW45. Any of these woodfields you could do exactly what you describe at a weight you would like. The Ebony will give you more bellows for a bit more money, but they all do the same thing. Just figure out your lens requirements. If price is no object then I'd choose the Ebony at about $1500. I've used the Wista for 20 years and wouldn't hesitate at spending the 1100 to 1300 for it again and the Tachihara is a bargain at just under $700. They all take Technica style boards. Good luck and happy shooting.

Gary

Octogenarian

lightweight 4x5

No Tim, I'm not getting a cut. I'm merely a very satisfied customer who wants to spread the good word around. As you know, I began buying, selling, and trading cameras, accessories, and darkroom equipment in 1946, when I was 16 years old. I've never met Jim face-to-face. He's a voice on the telephone and the person who answers my e-mail. During all these years, I've never had the pleasure of dealing with an photo salesman that is as straight forward, sincere, and honest as Jim. How's that for an endorsement?

lightweight 4x5

I am a conservation biologist working in Panay Island in the Philippines. I am trying to save a species of deer by working in the field for months in a very rough (no trail) highland tropical rainforest where the deer lives. I use Zone VI with 360 apo ronar, 150 nikkor lenses and 7 1/4 inch verito with an adoptor to screw into the apo ronar's copal #3 shutter. I use quickloads. All these camera stuff are inside an aluminium case. I simply strap the case into a backpack frame carrier. When I am having a break or an opportunity present itself I take photograph of the landscape where the deer lives. Eventually I will accumulate enough good photos to produce a book and its proceeds will go to the Philippine Spotted Deer Conservation Foundation account.
    Photographic equipments are just tools, yes some are heavier, better than others. But generally they will all do the job. Just make sure that the "job" is worth it, that is all.