Thread: Installing ICC Profiles in MS 8

Installing ICC Profiles in MS 8

Greetings...

I posted the message below on this forum and had no replies. The problem still remains so asking a different way. This CS5.1/Windows MS 8/Epson 9880. With MS 7 the ICC profiles would automatically install and accessible from Printer Settings. Now with MS 8 I can download ICC profile but it will not install. Here's the process so far Start/My Computer/Hardrive/Windows/System (this MS is 64 bit) SPOOL/Drive/Color Folder. The problems is at SPOOL. The MS 7 have Spool but MS 8 64 bit has a Spool file I don't recognize or cannot get to Driver. I hope this is clear and some can assist. Many appreciations.

Thanks.

July 14, 2004
    Greetings....

Using Windows 8/PC/CS5.1/Epson 9880. In the Print box under Custom Media Settings I cannot import ICC profiles. All files in correct location and Print driver is correct. Fairly routine activity.However, I do not print on a regular basis
    so I don't when this started. When I click the "Import" button I get " Version Error" Then" Processing Cancelled." I had to switch to Windows 8 which is a nightmare and possibly files were lost as I had numerous ICC profiles saved but none are there now. I have the ICC profiles in a folder and they are there but can not import!

Thanks.

Re: Installing ICC Profiles in MS 8

P.S. I've tried contacting Adobe and MS but they do not support these versions. MS wanted a $150. Also have been on Adode Community Forums with no help.

Thnaks.

Merely putting the ICC profile files in the right folder doesn't do it. When you install the Epson printer it should install the Epson paper profiles, but not any updated profiles and not any non-Epson profiles will be installed. So for any non-Epson profiles, you need to right click on them in the file explorer, and should see the option to "Install profile." You need to do that with each ICC profile.

Many thanks Dan. I will report back.

It's still the same. I can download and even if compressed file I extract to my paper profiles folder. However, with Printer on and in Print mode I stll get same messages as in JUlt which I copied and pasted below.

Any other guidance would be appreciated.

Kevin

July message.
    Using Windows 8/PC/CS5.1/Epson 9880. In the Print box under Custom Media Settings I cannot import ICC profiles. All files in correct location and Print driver is correct. Fairly routine activity.However, I do not print on a regular basis
    so I don't when this started. When I click the "Import" button I get " Version Error" Then" Processing Cancelled." I had to switch to Windows 8 which is a nightmare and possibly files were lost as I had numerous ICC profiles saved but none are there now. I have the ICC profiles in a folder and they are there but can not import!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Fish View Post
    It's still the same. I can download and even if compressed file I extract to my paper profiles folder. However, with Printer on and in Print mode I stll get same messages as in JUlt which I copied and pasted below.

Any other guidance would be appreciated.

Kevin

July message.
    You are not supposed to extract them to your paper profiles folder. You extract the profiles to a temporary folder, then using the file explorer, right click on each .ICC file and have the system "Install profile". In this way, the operating system will install the .ICC ile in the proper folder AND the system will register the profile in the Registry in Windows. If a file is not installed in this way, Windows and any application that uses the file will not know how to use the file. Do not assume that the same folder that Windows 7 uses is the same as on Windows 8, even if they have the same folder name. Any .ICC files that you directly copied or extracted into the paper profiles folder should be deleted and you need to allow the system to install them properly.

Thanks again Dan.

Will go back and review. Will delete files and start again. When I download ICC profiles they arrive as Compressed files. Thanks for guidance.

Kevin

HI Dan....

Your guidance was very helpful however in PS/Printer Settings/ Custom Settings the problem remains....wrong version...process failed. It will not import and the files are identified as .msf or.ssf. . The various companies MS,Epson. Adobe are not helpful in resoling issue. Will continue the effort as Custom Settings are not negatively impacted print results.

Thanks.

Win 8 is, of course, a different animal. Download your profile into a location that is easy to find. Navigate to the Control Panel and select Color Management. From there, click on the All Profiles tab, then click "Add". Browse to your stored profile and click. In my case, the profile immediately appears in PS and in the Epson print settings window.

Good luck!
    Bill McMannis

Preston Birdwell

Win 8 is, of course, a different animal. Download your profile into a location that is easy to find. Navigate to the Control Panel and select Color Management. From there, click on the All Profiles tab, then click "Add". Browse to your stored profile and click.
    The identical procedure works in Win 7, too. In Win 7 the color profiles are located in SystemDrive:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\color after they have been installed and registered on the system. I don't know if the path is the same as on Win 8, though. The main thing is to use the procedure outlined above by Bill.

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."