Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Enlarger alignment. How close is close enough?

Re: Enlarger alignment. How close is close enough?

I like the window screen idea, it would be interesting to try it out. I got a Versalab and used it to easily and quickly square up my 3 enlargers. I believe one of my Beselers is bent. I had acquired some levels made for enlarger alignment before I got the Versalab, and curiosity had me checking both ways. They were absolutely consistent. One thing I like about the Versalab is that it is so easy, if I ever have a question I can check alignment in only a few minutes and be confident of it's (good enough) accuracy.

Good point about the optical alignment of the enlarger lens: how do you really know if it's the square with the front of the lens housing? I'll have to assume that it's close enough.

Drew Wiley

Again you'll find my answer a bit of overkill. When I was building my true custom 8x10 color enlarger from the ground up, to get my vertical zero alignment correct, I shot a plumb line from a true survey laser back and forth through a series of front-surface mirrors (one with a center hole), which was comparable to getting a tiny dot on exactly the correct spot several miles away. This is also basically how precision gun barrels are aligned. But via this same technique any deviation in flatness or level is also detected on any of the other relevant components. It's an elegant technique, but with the inherent flaw that, with the exception of optics per se, none of us works with enlarger components that precisely machined to begin with. Maybe if you're NASA and want to get your telescope right at least the second time ...
    Otherwise, it was just a fun shop challenge for me to do it the "right" way myself.

Enlarger alignment. How close is close enough?

A friend had yet another gallery show which included 6x17 images. He has suffered too long with a messed-up Zone VI enlarger. When we viewed the display I mentioned that the extreme edges were not sharp, the grain was fuzzed. He replied, "That is something only a photographer could see."

Yep, so many things are like that.

I was advising a sculptor the other day, as I am an ex-sculptor, and told him stop fussing with details nobody else can see. He doesn't have time for invisible detail, his deadline is almost here.

Peeked again today, he wasn't there. Details fixed, but he missed his deadline. Now he will not get paid. It was 5 pieces for movie props...

And now landfill.
    Tin Can

Drew Wiley

I just like working with nice equipment. I think it affects my whole mentality during a quality-conscious workflow. Of course there always has to be some kind of
    intelligent compromise based upon budget, time, and functionality. But I do like my enlargers looking professional and well calibrated. Some people like working on hotrods or speedboats, but I spent a few years rigging up nice enlargers, so was my equivalent of a fun shop project regardless. But I made all the handles and fittings and ties match with brushed stainless steel, the vac easels all good looking an precise, and of course cannibalized all kinds of component from existing equipment where possible, which is something no manufacturer can do because they are corralled within their own specific patents and can't generally rustle someone else's cattle. But no matter how well things get built, one enlarger or another always needs some kind of attention. My big color unit needs one of its halogen bulbs replaced right now, but it takes a block and tackle and platform ladder to get inside the colorhead ... there are a few disadvantages to overbuilding things. But when you live just a few blocks from one of the more infamous earthquake faults in the country, there is some logic
    into building an enlarger like a military tank.

In the past you have said you cannot image this beauties.

I sure wish you could share visually what you have wrought.
    Tin Can

Drew Wiley

I might have to rip out even my copystand for awhile, to carve a path for one more enlarger, but in this case a Durst 8x10 color system which won't need much except a tuneup. I want it as a backup. Someday I'll get a DLSR camera for web communication purposes. My wife hates em, prefers film herself, though I had to get her an underwater digi because I can't justify the cost of a decent film Nikonos for just snorkeling fun. Trying to save my shekels for a new matcutter.

Enlarger alignment. How close is close enough?

Under a grain focus scope I can see sharp grain corner to corner and center. Am I just lucky? (I have four scopes to assure focus) I think not. Over 40 years I have trashed lenses that did not perform. All that are left are Rodenstock.

Jesus aligning the Omega 4x5 was a pain. �� My Durst 1840 has kept perfect alignment, so much so that Im thinking of selling my Versalab.

Thus spake Randy Moe:
    I don't need any more projects, I keep myself very busy. Retirement is hard work, I have no idea how I held down a full time job with lots of overtime. 13 days at a stretch.
    I say: Amen! +1 !00% "two thumbs up!" Right on! Si. Oui. Jawohl. Da. ...I have run out of affirmations!
    Peter Collins

On the intent of the First Amendment: The press was to serve the governed, not the governors --Opinion, Hugo Black, Judge, Supreme Court, 1971 re the "Pentagon Papers."