Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What will my Sinar F2 4x5 do that a Chamonix 4x5 or Ebony 4x5 won't

Re: What will my Sinar F2 4x5 do that a Chamonix 4x5 or Ebony 4x5 won't

The camera for over 30+ years to this day has become Sinar. Reason being, the Sinar system has the least limitations of any sheet film camera system on the market. This means bellows length is mostly limited by rail and rail support ability. The longest lens in the collection is a 35" Red D Artar using this on a field or folder is not going to be easy. Shortest lens is 47mm Super Angulon, with a bag bellows on the Sinar, it is quite useable even with camera movement. Beyond this, the Sinar shutter allows using most any lens within reasonable size that can fit mechanically on the lens board and if the lens element fits within the opening of the Sinar shutter. Beyond this, interchangeability of format size (roll film to 8x10 and larger), the Sinar filter system, bellows mask system, and more is why this has become the camera system of choice for me.

The C and C2 that has been dragged around all over to make images became my preference due to the stability and ease of using camera movements with accuracy and good range. Fully exploiting camera movements means precision as camera movements are often only a few degrees if of swing, tilt or combined swing& tile front, rear or both standards. There are few if any images that are made without using camera movements, the ability to easily and accurately do this is of extreme importance to me.

When doing macro work, the object can be mounted on a blank lens board fastened to a spare front standard. This front standard can be attached to the camera rail (keep adding rails as needed with proper support) with the entire set up positioned much like a copy stand with camera/lens and related all connected. This significantly improves stability as the object being imaged moves with the lens, film plane and related minimizing image blur due to camera shake/movement. Microscope objectives or reverse mounted enlarging lenses can be used if needed with a bit of creativity.

Over the years, I have owned a good number of field camera, folders and other mono rail cameras. Sinar is the only one that meets my image making needs, Know back packing and long distance travel to make images is not my thing. This negates the advantages of owning a field camera with light weight shuttered lenses. Of the field cameras owned and used over the years, The Linhof Technika, Toyo 810M, Canham DLC and Dorf stands out as being faves. These field cameras are nice to use, precise, stable, and all those great things excellent field cameras offer. They do not have the ability to use really long focal length lenses, really short focal length lens. As delivered, using barrel mounted lenses is less than ideal. combined front & rear camera movements are not always possible. They are light weigh, can be put in a back pack for ease of travel and all those good things.

Again, it is a trade off. It maybe ideal to own more than one camera or camera system with the choice being what and where images are to be made.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Struan Gray View Post
    I have a Sinar Norma and a Toyo 45A. I vastly prefer the Norma, even in the field.

Movements are easier to apply, and I appreciate the flexibility of having full movements and focussing on the front and rear standards.

Several have said that monorails are more flexible with wide angles. I mostly shoot with longer lenses (240 and 420 mm), and a monorail is more stable and easier to use with them too.

On a couple of occasions I have told myself that my preference for Norma was just a question of habit, and have forced myself to use only the Toyo (leaving the 420 mm lens at home, as it won't work at all on the Toyo). I found that the only benefit was size, and that was marginal. The weight difference was not significant to me, and even after practicing setup and strip down, I didn't find the field camera any faster than the monorail - the precision and alignment of the monorail counter-acted the need to add a rail extension and the lack of a viewing hood.

The only circumstances where the Toyo wins is when I know I will only need (or be able to carry) one lens. Then I can fit a basic kit in a small shoulder bag. The Norma requires a larger bag or a schoolbook-sized rucksack. The difference is small, but it's easier to bicycle with the Toyo kit and a tripod. Neither camera is as compatible with family outings as MF or a DSLR, as both need a tripod, and both take a couple of minutes to set up.

I am often tempted by a cute little thing like the Chamonix, but then I always realize how good for working my Sinar Norma is. I carry it all complete on the shortest rail (6inch I think), take it out from the backpack, screw on the head, add another piece of rail and there you go. I doubt I could be any quicker with a field camera. It's not that heavy, has all movements nicely laid out..
    Website of sorts, as well as flickr thing.

I had a Sinar F2 for about a week, bought it to do macro in the field. Once I got a tripod head that could handle the weight of the camera, I took it out and found that it was an enormous production to get the shot setup. This was especially true of scenes that were straight down like frozen features on lake shores and fallen leaves. In the end, I experienced that using my very rigid Chamonix was far easier and a lot more flexible in this capacity and of course a lot better for the high elevation hikes & ski mountaineering trips I take it on.

I guess I don't need a monorail as I really do need light and fast and don't do portraits in LF or still life shots at all. If I ever have proper studio space I could see getting a mint P2 as it is in my opinion, one of the most beautifully engineered and manufactured cameras in history.

Drew Wiley

Here's what I do for dayhiking. Forget carrying cases and dedicated camera cases with all that redundant foam packing. I use good ole fashioned "vintage" external
    frame packs like true Kelty or Camp Trails (the real deal from the 60's & 70's - there are still plenty of them around in good condition). I drop a simple Rubbermaid
    plastic kitchen wastebasket into the top compartment. The box of 4x5 filmholders drops into the bottom, then the Sinar (any of them) just drop into there fully assembled, even with a lens or lenshade, even darkcloth in place. Doesn't matter how long the rail is - even 24" or more - it just rests across the top. Lenses and filters etc just go into the side pouches in sandwich bags and bubble packing. Still lots of room left over for jackets, lunch, you name it, even a week's worth of backpacking and mtn gear, though that takes a bit more planning, but I have done it many,many times. The Sinar just pops out right onto the rail clamp (already mounted to the tripod), you pop the lens cap, slide the standards and start your tilts and fine focus. Fast.

Which is why field cameras really, really work from more than a few image makers.

There are no absolutes here, just the image making tool that works best and fits best with the needs of the image maker.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Kodachrome25 View Post
    I had a Sinar F2 for about a week, bought it to do macro in the field. Once I got a tripod head that could handle the weight of the camera, I took it out and found that it was an enormous production to get the shot setup. This was especially true of scenes that were straight down like frozen features on lake shores and fallen leaves. In the end, I experienced that using my very rigid Chamonix was far easier and a lot more flexible in this capacity and of course a lot better for the high elevation hikes & ski mountaineering trips I take it on.

I guess I don't need a monorail as I really do need light and fast and don't do portraits in LF or still life shots at all. If I ever have proper studio space I could see getting a mint P2 as it is in my opinion, one of the most beautifully engineered and manufactured cameras in history.

Drew Wiley

Kodachrome - the Sinar F's (not P's) need LESS of a tripod than most folders, not only because its's far easier to center-balance than any folder, but because you simply don't need a tripod head, though I'll admit I don't use tripod heads for any kind of wilderness use. No need once you learn how to properly adjust tripod legs just like surveyors did it atop remote mtn summits for decades. But the rail clamp allows you a fast compromise technique easier to learn. The reason I currently carry an Ebony on long backpacks instead of my Sinar is that I've simply gotten older, lazier, and appreciate more room in my pack for something called "Food", so compactness has become a greater priority. Depending on fishing luck, which happens to coincide with morning and evening light when photography is also often best, has dictated more packaged food in the pack. I just returned from eleven days of backpacking in the Wind River Range in Wyoming, and yeah, I ate a bit too
    well this time.

@stradibarius at the home page of this site, there's a long article on using a horseman optical bench camera/ monorail in the field - and the one thing mentioned there is that the camera is just One part of the total weight you carry - which includes tripod, film holders, film, black cloth etc.,

Drew has pretty much covered this, but I'd still encourage you to check that post out.

/I only have a monorail and my farthest use has been 500m from the car. Hand-carried (I havent really got a good cabinet/bag for it)

I'll be taking my Sinar P 8x10 with a 240mm G-Claron and the 150mm SW Nikkor out for a shoot this coming Saturday. For the two locations this time, it's only about 150 feet or more from the Land Rover. Despite this short distance, I'm bringing the wife and 15 year old son. Good cheap labor is hard to find these days, so always enlist family .

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    Respectfully, no single camera can be ideal for all applications.
    The Technikardan 45-S is awful close to perfect.

I absolutely luv the Norma. Like andreios said.
    I think if I had spare $ I would look at an Ebony but I have a Norma so I use it.

Ari is a friend so I am going to to bug him tongue and cheek.
    Ari Did you say the camera was awful? or awful Close to ...

Actually we are all wired differently.

Whenever I use a field I wish for the monorail adjustments.
    Others I know have warmed up to the field adjustments. I just cannot.