Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unusual but useful photo gear for LF?

Unusual but useful photo gear for LF?

A while back I got a used changing bag made for changing the magazines on Panavision movie cameras (yeah, eBay!)The thing is huge---it could have doubled as a horse blanket if there were such a thing as two legged horses---and makes reloading 8x10 holders on road trips viable as well as for both loading and respooling 7" wide aerial roll film for a Keystone F-8. I haven't tried it with the 12x20 yet, but I'd be surprised if it didn't gobble up ULF holders like a teenager after Hershey bars. Its not a Harrison tent of course, but then it cost about 1/20th the price (hey, it works for me!)

I was wondering if anyone else had come across some wierd piece of photo gear thats become an indispensible item in you're LF "kit?" What is it and what do you use it for?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Power inverter, for running the Polaroid 8x10 processor in the explorer

A suggestion that I picked up from one of these forums - an inexpensive folding canvas table to hold the camera equipment when working in the field - keeps stuff out of the mud.

A small lanyard-mounted analog compass, to know where the sun rises and sets; a LED light for setting up and breaking down in dark or dim light; a Victorinox Cybertool (with the screwdrivers); the 4Runner for getting there and sleeping in the back; and a Coleman Black Cat catalytic propane heater to warm the tent/truck on those chilly, damp mountaintop mornings.

Haven't drug the Polaroid processor along (yet) but those inverters are nice.

Steve

I don't know if it qualifies as weird, but something I find convenient and sometimes indispendable is the Manfrotto tripod apron, a triangular arrangement of three pockets that hangs between tripod legs and provides a place to rest lenses while removing the one on the camera, place my spotmeter, store my level, etc. I serves the same sort of purposes as the table referred to in a previous message, but automatically folds up with the tripod and weighs next to nothing.

Oh yeah, the Gnass Rapid Load File and Film Holder File. Great invention for 4x5 and 8x10.

Steve

I'll second the Gnass rapid load file - ingenious, though not really
    weird.
    In the winter snows, I use ski pole baskets
    <a target="_blank" href="http://baconphoto.com/equip/tripodmod.shtml">modified
    to fit</a> the legs of my tripod. Another clever photographer mentioned that
    they use old tennis balls to accomplish the same task. A photographer-friend
    recommended a small, cheap digital watch (found at Walmart or the local grocery
    store) that can be set to count seconds. It comes on an elastic cord and
    conveniently slips over the ball head and loosely rests at the bottom of the
    head. It's great for timing long exposures when your watch is buried under
    several layers of clothing.

Ive found these to be completely indispensible when shooting with my 8x10 Empire state.
    http://www.homedepot.com/cmc_upload/HDUS/EN_US/asset/images/eplus/163037_4.jpg

the bellows it somewhat old and sags so these help to keep it taut and from vignetting.

also have double as lensboard clamps, tripod leg clamp backups, rear standard pressure plate tensioners, etc etc...
    very handy having two of them stowed in my backpack.
    oh and also a couple cheap $2 contractors bubble levels for multi uses.

A Manfrotto long lens support to clamp onto my tripod leg to support the rear bed of my Ansco camera.

Beverly Hills, California

The Radio Shack talking timer - to help tray develop sheet films in the dark, and do long camera exposures at night.