Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 8x10 Tachihara, Deardorff, Shen-Hao

8x10 Tachihara, Deardorff, Shen-Hao

Ken, I seem to have the gene that makes the classic cameras extra enjoyable to me. I have both 5X7 and 8X10 'dorff's and consider them my lifetime companions. VERY easy to use. That said, for the same $ which is where a very late very clean 'dorff will end up ($1850 - $2000) a good friend has the Wehman 8X10 and I would opt for it in a heart beat. What a slick oufit. And a good 5 pounds lighter than the Deardorff.

For MY money, a Tachihara 8x10 Double-Extension camera made the most sense. It was brand new and cost (at least) several hundred dollars less than the competition. I find the camera to be quite sturdy and quick to set up (not to mention being a thing of beauty when sitting on a tripod in the corner of the room).

I use the 8x10 Tachi with a 355 G-Claron, 240 Fujinon-A and 110 Schneider-XL - all mounted on "Technika" boards and used with the 8x10 to 4x5 lensboard adapter. This 3-lens system packs nicely and performs very well.

Regards,

Bill G.

I will definately chime in for the Wehman. I got mine this fall and what a great camera. I use the plexiglass ground glass, total weight 8.7 lbs

I would like to echo Jim's comments about the Wehman 8x10. I had a Deardorff but found it to be quite wobbly and heavy. I took delivery of my Wehman about a month ago. I have been very pleased with it. The build quality is very nice. It is amazingly light weight. The Wehman is very rigid. It folds up into a tough little package. Bruce Wehman is a true gentleman. He was very pleasant and helpful on the phone.

I am surprised how little mention the Wehman gets on the net. Perhaps there just aren't that many of them out there. If you want a camera to carry out into the real world, the Wehman is a great choice.

I have a HZX-810IIAT and it has all you could possibly ask for including a detachable bellows.

Ken - Your SMTP module is rejecting reply e-mails. The Tachi triple is a folder. Same outside dimensions (according to the Tachi spec page on mpex.com) as the double, in fact, just 3 pounds heavier.

RESPONSE FROM ALEX HAWLEY; HE WAS HAVING DIFFICULTY POSTING IT. NEIL

J&C Photo was offering the Shen-Hao just a couple weeks ago but I couldn't find it on their website tonight. You might contact them and see what they say: www.jandcphoto.com.
    I've had my Deardorff for a year now. No experience with any other 8x10 so maybe I don't know what I'm missing. I have no complaints with it at all. Mine is an older model which I believe had the front swing added. It doesn't have the aluminum tripod plate which would be a good thing to have. I can make one, someday. Running the bellows out to 24 inches is no problem. With the bellows at 12 inches or so, I can operate all the adjustments while I am under the dark cloth.

Lensboards are easily made from wood or whatever works for you. I bought a couple sheets of thin plywood from the hobby store, giving me enough to make a half dozen lensboards. So far, I've made one.

If I were going to buy a new camera, I would give the Wehman first consideration. I looked them over pretty good last year when I was buying and thought to myself "this is how I would build one".

The Kodak Masterviews are first rate, all metal, not wood. They have a unique lensboard though which can't be made unless you are are a savvy machinist. I used to be and wouldn't mind making a couple, but it would take a lot of hand-filing and fitting without CNC machinery. Michael A. Smith had a batch made last year and sells them for around $100. The cameras were not produced for very many years so they are not as available as the Deardorffs.

Good luck with your choice, whatever it may be.