Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: LF Clarification

Re: LF Clarification

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    ButWhatAbout#1: Does it have to be physically taped together to be considered? What about (conceptually speaking) a diptych or triptych of more-than-that-typh made of FP-100 images (made with a view camera, of course) that visually forms a singular image concept?
    It has to be epoxied together using black silk strips. Only JB Weld epoxy will be tolerated.

C'mon. Let's talk about real pictures, not contrived circumstances created solely to vex the moderators. Moderator-vexing is not recommended.

Rick "large-format triptychs are made with large-format materials--that's what makes them large-format triptychs" Denney

Quote Originally Posted by rdenney View Post
    C'mon. Let's talk about real pictures, not contrived circumstances created solely to vex the moderators.
    Indeed. If we actually get so many pictures that are challenging to categorize (think Muybridge, photograms, David Hockney's photo work, etc) then, 1) That will be a great thing and fun to look at, 2) the mods can worry about that problem when it happens, and 3) it will probably happen so little that either forum will work--no need to make changes in policy--or have a huge debate--to accommodate the small number of images that we will get.

--Darin

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

It has to be epoxied together using black silk strips. Only JB Weld epoxy will be tolerated.

C'mon. Let's talk about real pictures, not contrived circumstances created solely to vex the moderators. Moderator-vexing is not recommended.

Rick "large-format triptychs are made with large-format materials--that's what makes them large-format triptychs" Denney
    Not contrived. I actually had one displayed in my home. It is inspired by Oliver Gagliani but not done on a single strip of film. Doesn't have black silk strips ad JB Weld, but I understand your point. I shall cease and sesist with further mod-vexing. My apologies for wasting your time (but thanks for the very creative response).

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Not contrived. I actually had one displayed in my home. It is inspired by Oliver Gagliani but not done on a single strip of film. Doesn't have black silk strips ad JB Weld, but I understand your point. I shall cease and sesist with further mod-vexing. My apologies for wasting your time (but thanks for the very creative response).
    The mod thanks you.

Rick "unvexed" Denney

When someone tapes together strips into something 4x5 and bigger, and ends up with an image that works well enough for them to want to post it, we'll consider it then. Either way, we'll be able to see it.

But this could easily devolve to a thousand variations of "but what about...", identifying stuff almost nobody does in practice. Let's take things as they come.
    Rick "hoping the theorizing stays in this thread" Denney
    Consider this. When I was stationed at Shaw AFB in Sumter, SC we were sent on a TDY (temporary duty assignment) to Moses Lake, WA. At the time our unit was flying 5x5" (larger then 4x5") on RF101 Voodoos. Two were sent to fly from Sumter to Moses Lake. We then printed all of the film on to roll film. Had to feather the back edges with a razor blade on all of the prints and they were then pasted together to form a continuous strip that wove around the entrance hallway to the lab, several times. Of course, while flying the route, the planes did "crab" so these strips were not straight but showed the crabbing.

So, how would this variation work? It sure used up an awful lot of man hours not to mention fuel, film, paper, razor blades and glue.

Drew Wiley

I generally like diptychs and triptychs more than spliced images (regardless of how they get spiced). There's something more challenging to having each component being capable of either a stand-alone image or working in sequence as a panorama. I did that once where the ideal lighting between the right and
    left halves was actually twenty minutes apart. The paired combination was stunning, a splice would have been patently absurd. But if you are contemplating
    splicing, guess you missed your heyday back when every movie studio and theater had some poor stiff who routinely did this.

Wingnut/GearJammer/IBEWRetired Racer X 69's Avatar

Wow.

166 posts and we are still beating the horse about what is and is not Large Format.

I got it after reading the very first post by Mr. Barker.
    Whiskey Is Sunlight Held Together By Water

Quote Originally Posted by Racer X 69 View Post
    Wow.

166 posts and we are still beating the horse about what is and is not Large Format.

I got it after reading the very first post by Mr. Barker.
    yep.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Oh people get it. Some people refuse to accept it XD

Consulting the pineal gland

It used to be that 2x3 view camera images and FP-100C images shot in a view camera were allowed in the LF works.
    I'm saddened to see that is no longer the case.
    Rather than becoming more and more restrictive over time I would have thought we'd become less so.