Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lens Hoods

Re: Lens Hoods

Chistopher, since you already have the Arca compendium, look for the accessory filter holder. It slides into the back of the compendium (there is a slot around 2 edges of the rear compendium if you check). The holder takes 4" gel filters and the inner ring rotates 360 degrees for polarizers.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Filter Holder.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	34.3 KB 
ID:	122521

Hasselblad used to make a nice foldable shade which had a slot for filters. They sold metal frames for the gels with a tab for use in the shades. I used to use them all the time. Thought they were very nice.

Maybe you can adapt one of those?

--Darin

Horseman has a behind the lens filter holder.
    Keeps all light and dust off the filter.
    If someone is interested I can make some pictures.

I share the frustration with the lens shade issues. Many cameras are designed without thought to this and therefore no integral shade is available. You could get a lens supported system like the Lee or one of the hoods aimed at MF cameras or engineer some kind of a kludge such as buying a compendium for another brand or a lens hood and back engineering a way to get it mounted onto the front standard which usually involves tapping a hole or drilling a couple of holes into the front standard. Or you can get those barn doors and mount them onto the lens. I like camera mounted systems as they are somewhat faster than lens mounted systems and you can often leave the compendium mounted on the front standard as you swap lenses etc. Also the fact that you leave them on the standard reduces the chances of your forgetting to use a shade.

Most of the available shades/compendiums lean towards square. On formats that themselves lean towards square, this works. But on formats that deviate significantly from square (such as 8x20), you have a huge image circle with very little shading required horizontally but a lot of shading required vertically to prevent the non-image part of the image circle contributing to flare. With lens shades that are square, you just cannot shade effectively because if you adjust the shade for the horizontal axis, you will b doing a very ineffective job of shading along the vertical axis. You will have to use a mask cut to the required format or some other way to get these to work. The barn doors are probably easier to work with here but they are typically lens mounted and usually the individual leaves are not large enough to completely shade the long axis - better than nothing but still not perfect. The best way is probably the Sinar system that uses adjustable masking leaves on the compendium but these are hideously expensive.

I think a permanently attached compendium should just be standard and designed into the camera system. It is straightforward enough to design one that is attached to the camera but flips out of the way to access the lens controls, change lenses etc. That way, it is the correct shape for the format and it is permanently attached to the camera and always used as it is just one more control that is on the camera.

Cheers, DJ

The Sinar Adjustable Mask 11 is very effective and not as pricy as they once were. But they require an extra lightweight accessory standard, bellows rods clips. When one adds all those parts together it gets rather heavy so this bit of kit stays in the studio. To change lenses one must loosen off the rod clamp and slide the whole hood forward.
    The Sinar Barn Door Mask 1 is much lighter albeit a touch flimsy. It uses 2 sliding black horizontal masks which one can adjust when setting up the format. This part can be used with bellows and accessory standard or with clips on a rod for an even lighter [flimsy] solution. I modified some of the newer and older clips to fit together to provide a much more robust solution.

I have resorted to using the Linhof Technika Compendium with a modification: on the back of it, I have attached a 4x4 double tray salvaged from a Chrosziel Matte box; one of the filter stages rotates. It's not cheap and it is not perfect.