Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I get to shoot 2 Holy Grail Pinkham and Smith Semi Achromatics in a comparison

I get to shoot 2 Holy Grail Pinkham and Smith Semi Achromatics in a comparison

The long version is HERE: for the P&S students and experts.

But for the rest, I'll just post the important stuff. The pictures made.

This'll take a couple of posts, so be patient.

pic 1 his lens

pic 1 my lens

Re: I get to shoot 2 Holy Grail Pinkham and Smith Semi Achromatics in a comparison

pic 2 his lens

pic 2 my lens

pic 3 his lens

pic 3 my lens

Kodak 2D 6.5X8.5 format. Aerial Recon Panatomic X film. Developed in PyroCatHD
    All exposures 1/15th sec by Packard Shutter

Re: I get to shoot 2 Holy Grail Pinkham and Smith Semi Achromatics in a comparison

Very cool!

Thanks for sharing.
    "Sex is like maths, add the bed, subtract the clothes, divide the whoo hoo and hope you don't multiply." - Leather jacket guy

Jim,

Interesting comparison. But I'd like to ask what I'm sure is a delicate and hard-to-answer question. P&S lenses are often discussed with a degree of reverence that borders on the irrational. I am a huge fan of soft focus work, but I don't see the "magic" you mention in these shots. That being said, what is it, in your opinion, that elevates these lenses to cult status? Is it the glow or the combination of clear definition within the halos or something else? In other words, you have many photos on your site taken with other SF lenses that seem equal if not superior to the P&S shots. Of course, it may be that on-screen is not the best place to make the comparison.

I'm genuinely curious and not trying to troll you, I swear!

Jonathan

It's holy grail stuff because it was a lens of choice for original American pictorialism. People like Coburn and Day. Coburn had a bunch of them due to variations (as shown here). I saw that on eBay but it was a big risk as it was and you three seemed to handle that smartly. Seems like a lot for one piece of mystery glass in a tube, but cheap compared to a new Zeiss or Nikon 35mm pro wunderglass.

Johnathan,
    Like anything subjective, what you like depends on you. I love these shots. I don't like super-saturated color shots of deserts however. Everyone is different.

The short answer is if you don't see the magic, maybe it's not there for you.

I'll be the first to admit that part of the magic is a lot of baloney because of the P&S name on the engraving. A Verito is about 1/5th the cost and bottom line is, a Verito in someone with talent's hands is going to produce better pictures than a P&S is in mine. So, your real question is how much of this is undefinable baloney and my answer is, probably a lot.

Still, the fineness of the over-all diffusion in that 3rd picture of the broken glass on the car is about as good as it gets. I need to load some more film, because I used the last of the holders on these, but if I get a chance, while the discussion is still alive, I'll do a 3rd picture of that same subject with a Verito for you.

Another fine Galli-adventure. Thanks for the fun-ride Jim!

But I still say it's not the magic, but the magician.

Jim, Garrett: Keep in mind I am like a kid pressing his nose up against a candy store window since I have no proper soft focus lenses of my own and must be content with magnifying glasses or the rear elements from certain lenses for my own SF work. My dearth of "proper" SF gear makes the "real" stuff seem all the more tantalizing and mythical. Maybe I just don't WANT $4,000 lenses to be that good since I doubt I'll ever be able to afford one!

And for the record I find the P&S examples very pleasing but not necessarily all that more so than other SF examples.

Jonathan

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

I've never owned a P&S (although quite a few of my lenses qualify as PoS...) But I've worked with quite a few other soft focus lenses, and each has its own signature, sometimes bold, sometimes subtle. 99-cent magnifying glasses can't give the effect of a P&S, but then a P&S can't give the effect of a magnifying glass, and both can give beautiful results. The P&S is rare and historically significant, so it commands a great price. Also, I really, really want one, and that alone triples the price...

One thing Jim's comparison shows is that there's a fair variation between different examples of the Pinkham and Smith's, even of the same model of similar vintage. Which alone makes me think they were inexact enough in manufacture that other lenses could match their magic.

I'll agree with Jim that the Verito will stand right beside the P&S, as will quite a few other soft lenses. And maybe someday I'll say that with first-hand knowledge!
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."