Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Water Chiller Help

Re: Water Chiller Help

I've seen the "cold" water temp reach almost 90 in the Summer. I use the frozen bottles in the Jobo but it's not really satisfactory if I want to run several cycles on the same evening as the ice gets used up too quickly.

What grain???????? largeformat apt's Avatar

A temprite for beer maybe an option, we use them here for kegs you get from the hotel, buy the beer get the temprite. It has an inlet and outlet and is fitted into an insulated box. Fill the box with ice and start pouring beer. have a look on line for a design. Not hard to make, I have the same problem here with hot tap water, not hot beer!!!

Thanks to everyone who has a suggestion. I think I got this figured out. I am going to order a wort chiller coil on eBay. Around $50. That hooks up to a hose, and I will put the coil in a plastic bucket and add ice. Water flowing through the coil will then be chilled before it goes to the Jobo CPP. As an added advantage I will add some beer to the ice. Then I can drink the beer.
    Robert Rose
    robertrose.photos

I went to school in Tucson. It is too hot in the summer to do anything. See my beer/ice solution below.
    Robert Rose
    robertrose.photos

Not sure what is practice in The Great South West. Indiana/Kentucky grade indoor food operation etc, the beverage cooler has a removable top and is filled with ice. ice feeds the ice dispenser as well as cooling the room temperature beverage between the feed side and the dispensers.
    My understanding is the lines are just fairly lengthy food grade plastic tubing of an appropriate size. Cola folks could probably tell you the recipe for how much tubing and how much flow with your source water temperature. Also ice consumption for your ground water temperature. A ton of ice cooling rating is about 12,000 BTU 8 lbs a gallon * degrees difference needed etc...

Aschillaci,

I ran into a similar issue a few years ago with our water supply here in San Antonio. The cold water, just isn't really cold at all!

In my case, I was running a Jobo ATL2 so my solution was a little easier than yours. I picked up an old recirculating chiller (basically the same thing you have with a built in pump to circulate the water through a closed loop). I then took about 3-4 feet of 3/8" copper tubing and rolled it into a coil that would fit in the bottom of the Jobo (I think I used a broom handle to form the coil). I connected this coil (now acting as a water to water heat exchanger) to the inlet and outlet of the recirculating chiller and submerged it in the bottom of the Jobo. I set the temperature for the chiller to a few degrees below the target temperature for whatever process I was running that day, in this way, the electric heater in the Jobo worked against the chiller and maintained the temperature on its own (with no need for external tempered cooling water).

In the case of the ATL, the rinse water is tempered internally using the main reservoir below the processing tray, but I don't see any reason you couldn't use this same (or similar) arrangement with your CPP. You would have no need for any external water connections since you have to manually pour all of your chemicals and rinses. You could keep your rinse water in the extra containers (the ones you currently fill with ice water) submerged in the water bath, which would temper them to your process temperature, the same as it does with your chemicals.

This arrangement worked fine for me here in San Antonio. In fact, my ATL2 was set up on the screened in back porch of our former house, so it was essentially running outdoors in San Antonio summer temperatures. The Jobo heater working against the chiller did a great job of keeping the temps to within a tenth of a degree or so. I had more issues with water quality (we have some seriously hard water here in San Antonio) than I did with temperature after building this setup.

Good luck,

John IV

Even in New England it can get warm. I have developed at 75 degrees but prefer 68. I'm plumbing an aquarium chiller into my Jobo. Based on how I *believe* the cold water solenoid works, I don't think it makes sense to use it. Instead, I'll plumb it like an aquarium with a constant flow of water in and out of the Jobo using an aquarium pump. This way, 68 degree water will constantly be flowing through the unit, maintaining temp. When developing color, I just turn off the cooling system.

That's today's plan at least.