Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tiltall or investment?

Re: Tiltall or investment?

DrTang you are NOT the only anti Tiltall person here. I too hate them. The heads are atrocious and the leg locks are a pain. That was the first tripod I owned and could not wait to get rid of it. We nicknamed them the "guillotine". And that was from using them on a Mamiya C330. Via working with students and school loaners over the years I have never had a reason to change my opinion. I wouldn't consider one for 4x5.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Sarah,

If you need/want all the movements of a metal/carbon tripod then go for one of those. Kirk, knows what is coming next, I for one like and use wooden tripods, YES WOODEN. The Berlebach is a good tripod I have seen them but never owned one. My tripod of choice is a Ries Mod. B (not made anymore) it was a lighter Mod. A. It works fine for 4x5 and up to 8x10. For smaller cameras is use a Ries Jr/Ries 600. The problem with Ries is that the used market is over priced. As far as heads for the Ries I use both Ries and Baco heads (Baco no longer made). So my 2 cents go wood.

Jan

I've had a small Berlebach and it was a fine tripod. Don't remember the model however. I currently use a Manfrotto 055MF3 with a 410 head which is all I need-light rigid bullet proof. Doesn't supply the odd toothpick but I can live without them
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Many of the Linhofs have excellent built-in heads, which is convenient and will save you a bundle ($$$). (I have four and love 'em, but they do tend to be on the short side, though.)
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Tripods are obviously a very personal choice, (I have several, mostly Manfrotto, so I grab the right one for the job)
    I advise looking at a bunch at a local camera shop, or maybe a camera club.
    Real cameras are measured in inches...
    Not pixels.

www.photocollective.org

Sarah, I'm going to hold out for the Berlebach. I bought one a few years ago for my 4x5 and liked it so much, I now have three different ones. They are very sturdy for their weight, are easier to handle in cold weather and don't care much if you put them into water for a shot.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

I will also throw in a vote for the used Linhof twin shank. Very versatile, well made and should be available on eBay for about $100 with a head. I have a mid sized Berlebach (the 222?)- much of the time a head is not needed. I like it a lot, and you'll still be way under $500.

I've got an old Tiltall off ebay (my other two have walked away!) For a GVII and 5x7 Speed Graphic. I've got no complaints other than I have to keep an eye out for tripod bandits.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Here in the U.S. older Tiltalls can be had for cheap. I paid $75.00 for mine at a local camera show. Tiltalls are a lot of bang for your buck. I much prefer my Ries tripods but bought the Tiltall for use with my Crown Graphic in neighborhoods filled with John's friends, the tripod bandits.

You said that you just bought a 4x5 Wista. If you are new to large format and are not sure if you are going to stay with it then an inexpensive Tiltall may be what you need. If you absolutely love large format and plan on shooting sheet film for a long time, then you ought to get the tripod and head that you will absolutely love. I would think that would probably be a light carbon fiber job and your choice of head.

I have used a Tiltall and I did like it. But I would go with a carbon fiber. You will end up using it more. The best tripod is the one that you have with you. My G1348 is going on 20 years and still going strong.