Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jobo 3005 pump broken: how save the wet film?

Re: Jobo 3005 pump broken: how save the wet film?

Just my two-penneth, the easiest way to open a drum without a pump is to run the edge of the lid under a very hot tap slowly for 3 rotations, then gently lift the edges of the lid and it will come off easily. (just make sure the hot water is going over the lid and not the drum, you don't want that to expand).

Try it, it works well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Bray View Post
    Just my two-penneth, the easiest way to open a drum without a pump is to run the edge of the lid under a very hot tap slowly for 3 rotations, then gently lift the edges of the lid and it will come off easily. (just make sure the hot water is going over the lid and not the drum, you don't want that to expand). Try it, it works well.
    I'll give that a go. I usually just use a version of the wood-block method.

Perhaps best of another thread -- but any secrets out there for putting the lids on? Particulaily, putting them on straight -- and not too tight. I use the 3005 tanks.

I usually put them on not too tight, but end up tightening them up some by trying to get the top on straighter (by pushing down on the high-side).
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

No reason to destroy a tank or lid with banging wood on the very fragile plastic.
    No need to have any pressure popping lids.
    The only "need" is the follow the instructions

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    ...any secrets out there for putting the lids on? Particulaily, putting them on straight -- and not too tight...
    See post #19.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    See post #19.
    That is what I do also -- except it seems that I perhaps use too much initial pressure...and there are times I just can't think straight and have to spin it three times before I get it centered, each time the lid getting a little tighter. I was wondering if there are any other hints. Does anyone paint a line around the drum, for example, to align the lid to? I was thinking of putting a large rubber band on the drum -- measured to be level. Then judge the level of the lid from the rubber band.

Actually the last three drums I sealed, two ended up being very close to center the first time....luck perhaps...or bad habits forgotten in the year since I used the drums last! I loaded the three drums at one time and developed a few days later, so I did not have the motor base out to check on them right away.

I am setting up a darkroom and I will have a dedicated piece of wood stuck to the wall that I can tap the lid of the drum on to pop it off (perhaps after using hot water first.) Light taps, three or four around the lid. If I am not using these drums 20 years from now, it probably will not be from a broken lid.

A friend (who posts here occasionally) ended up at an ER with an eye injury due to excessive use of the foot pump on a 3005!
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

In the dark I use my fingertips between the drum and the lid, when the pressure feels equal at each fingertip the lid is reasonably well-aligned to the drum, and it's easy to sort of drop it the rest of the way on. A small sheet of 8"x10" cardboard works when my hands aren't functioning well. Place it between the drum and lid to get a feel of it being level and parallel to the drum, lift it enough to slide the cardboard away and seat the lid. If it's off after testing the spin, I loosen the low side and tighten the high side of the lid at the same time to keep from getting it wedged on too tight.

I really like the idea of adding a white reference line for depth and parallel.

I'll try that method! I hold the lid in two hands and sort of wave it over the top of the drum until I have barely touching all around the rim, then try to push it down evenly. That was probably clear as mud, but I will try the finger method!

Now I have a pump and use it, but before just with my bare hands it wasnt too hard to open, rotate and pull slowly no damage done to the plastic.

Luis

Applying some grease (a tiny amount) in the lip of tank and lid will help with sealing and placement / removal. This tip came from a Jobo tech note, they recommended the same one which they used to sell for their ATL gearings. I've found that water-resistant PFTE grease does a far better job.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Graham View Post
    A small sheet of 8"x10" cardboard works when my hands aren't functioning well. Place it between the drum and lid to get a feel of it being level and parallel to the drum, lift it enough to slide the cardboard away and seat the lid.
    Forgot to mention the cardboard has a trimmed edge to make it easier to align the lid to the drum. I can be pretty wobbly in the dark, especially after a long hike, so this can be useful at times.

Anyway, I still like the water-pressure method, even if I can pull the lid off by hand fairly easily. I fix in a separate tray to make the drum easier to clean between batches, so when extracting the film in the dark there's just less risk of damage if the drum is full of water.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails drumscrap.jpg