Page 24 of 36 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: Equivalence: The Perennial Trend

Re: Equivalence: The Perennial Trend

Quote Originally Posted by austin granger View Post
    Thank you Joe. You are always very kind.

As for what's inside my head, I imagine it's not much different than what's inside most people's heads, that is, a roiling ocean of thoughts and desires and well worn dead ends. Oh wait, is that just me? :-) Seriously, I can certainly relate to all of the things you mentioned experiencing when you are out looking for photos, but I think the last thing (something that "calls out" to be photographed) is the thing I relate to the most. I was thinking about it this morning (I saw your note last night but wanted to stew on it) and it struck me that when I'm out photographing, it's more like listening than anything. That is, when I'm out roaming around, I try to still that roiling ocean of thoughts and just "listen." Honestly, I never really know what it is I'm looking for, but I know it when I see it, or "hear" it. The subject is a thing that "sounds" (like sounding a bell) within me. It is a thing that I recognize, an external representation of an internal condition. If things are going really, really well (photographically speaking), it feels like the world IS my mind, or that my self has expanded to encompass the whole universe.

Reading that last bit back over, I imagine I sound like I'm completely nuts.
    That's pretty reasonable. I'm nodding sort of in agreement. It's not nuts compared to what many artists write. Joe I was on one of those enraptured outings Saturday. I had two rolls of film and ran out (12 shots per roll). I enjoyed what I had. I couldn't call my wife to bring me more since she was snowed in. Now I'm going to keep a pro-pack of 5 rolls in my jacket pocket for next time that happens.

Thanks for the reply Austin. Your response makes a lot of sense to me tonight in particular. I'm enrolled in a meditation class that met earlier this evening and I was trying to quiet that ocean of thoughts as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Smigiel View Post
    Thanks for the reply Austin. Your response makes a lot of sense to me tonight in particular. I'm enrolled in a meditation class that met earlier this evening and I was trying to quiet that ocean of thoughts as well.
    Photography and meditation are closely related I think. Large format photography, with all it's wonderful, slow rituals, especially so!

...light and shadow, continuosly offering an "enter to the dance",
    as says Austin:
    ...When you go inward, you're going outward as well.
    I will just add a little:
    ...mirrors, in between, and an opportunity for self-manifestation through creative camera work !
    (5x7", D76, Ilford Delta 100, Ross Xpress 250mm f:3 in my bed room )
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Woodlight.jpg  

one little more view from light movements series, staring,
    (5x7", D76, Ilford Delta 100, Ross Xpress 250mm f:3 in my bed room)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Staring.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Miguel Coquis View Post
    ...light and shadow, continuosly offering an "enter to the dance",
    as says Austin:
    ...When you go inward, you're going outward as well.
    I will just add a little:
    ...mirrors, in between, and an opportunity for self-manifestation through creative camera work !
    (5x7", D76, Ilford Delta 100, Ross Xpress 250mm f:3 in my bed room )

Amazing!

Cheers,

Renato

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	singng-tree-2.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	240.8 KB 
ID:	129027I drive by this tree all the time and it has always generated an imagine in my head. I hope you see it???
    Generalizations are made because they are Generally true...

Wonder...
    14x17"
    CZJ 700mm f:5
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 001.jpg  

I'm back, mostly to say how much I appreciate a meditative thread like this and how it adds to my experience as a photographer. The work I had already considered last fall bore some fruit and I made another series to "answer" the original from White Sands (NM). Now I find myself looking harder for these symbols, marks, and notations (and homage to Nathan Lyons and Harry Callahan).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 9Baird_Diagram.jpg   13Baird_Calligraphy.jpg   11Baird_Lonely.jpg   15Baird_X.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Baird View Post
    I'm back, mostly to say how much I appreciate a meditative thread like this and how it adds to my experience as a photographer. The work I had already considered last fall bore some fruit and I made another series to "answer" the original from White Sands (NM). Now I find myself looking harder for these symbols, marks, and notations (and homage to Nathan Lyons and Harry Callahan).
    ...beautiful writting Darryl !
    it seems completely weld with essentials, hard to say more (sumi e...?)
    Me like it much !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 001.jpg   002.jpg   003.jpg   004.jpg