Thread: LF/ULF in India/Nepal

LF/ULF in India/Nepal

Hi All,
    I'm going to India and Nepal for 3 weeks in Jan 2005. I was wondering if anybody has taken a LF/ULF camera over there and what the logistics are. I will be staying with friends so guides won't be a problem. I would really like to bring the 7x17 or the 5x7. But I might be a little off base here and end up just bringing the Leica and Brooks Veriwide for sanity. What do you think? Thanks in advance for your help. Emile. www.deleon-ulf.com

LF/ULF in India/Nepal

Emile, I have not ever been to such special places so I am not the most qulified to help you with this one but...

Can you imagine being in a pristine place, the air is cool and crisp and you are surrounded by a land and a culture you have never seen before. You feel so excited you want to photograph everything but your cameras are in the safety of home. I could not bear the feeling.

Yes take the Leica too, it fits anywhere.

LF/ULF in India/Nepal

WOW! What a gig!!

Take the 7x17 and be dammed!!! How many more times in your life will you ever get the chance!!!

CP Goerz

LF/ULF in India/Nepal

Sounds like a big Pelican case and the trip of a lifetime...

LF/ULF in India/Nepal

Decide what your goal is, photography, exploration, whatever and pack acordingly. Keep in mind that India is extremely populated and anything not bolted or welded to the ground can and will be stolen. Insure it all before traveling. Most important, have fun!!! And yes, do take a 35mm you will both want and need it.

LF/ULF in India/Nepal

I have taken an 8x10 over - the logistics are not too terrible. One suggestion would be to try and figure out the places you would like to go to - there is far too much to see in 3 weeks and you will be well served by figuring out the focus of your attention. Many ancient monuments etc now fall under the purview of the Department of Archeology and it is a good idea to write to the local Department and get permission to photograph in this area - I would suggest talking to your friends about this early, it can take some time. Getting the permission is not too much of a problem (other than the time required) and it would save a lot of hassle - some places will just say you can't photograph without permisssion, period, which would be a shame after the trouble to get to some remote location. Some other observations. The quality of light will vary tremendously from the clear mountain air to really dusty plains (they can be so dusty, local contrast in the distance is all but non-existant). Expect curious and chatty (but friendly) onlookers in the more crowded locations. If you let me know exactly where you decide to go, I might be able to provide some more specific suggestions. Have fun. Cheers, DJ

LF/ULF in India/Nepal

7 x 17 Azo and the mountains, that's as close to heaven on earth there is! Enjoy

Real photographs are born wet !

www.PowerOfProcessTips.com

LF/ULF in India/Nepal

Alas...my friend and guide has recommended that we travel light and forego the 7x17. We will be doing so much traveling within the given times that he said plan for another trip next year with the ULF when I know more about this region. The weight restrictions can be a problem too with airlines esp from Delhi to Kathmandu etc. I think it is about 30 lbs max. But there is unlimited carry on within a given size/space. He was today describing the beauty of a city about 9 hours by car from Kathmandu to Pokara Nepal. The town is located at 1,500 feet and then you take about about an hour hike to view the Himalayan peaks of 25,000 feet. I just cant imagine this. He is quite a world traveler and said this is about the most beautiful place on earth. I dont even know what lenses I would bring! I'm still going to think about taking the 7x17 with just a holder or two and a "Light tripod" just in case as this is too much of a temptation! Thanks all for your valueable input! I buy my ticket tomorrow! Wish me luck!
    Emile

Jim Ewins

LF/ULF in India/Nepal

Check with Suvro Datta who is leading a photo trip soon. He returns to his native land frequently. suvro@suvroSPAMBLOCK.com Jim

LF/ULF in India/Nepal

I spent about 5 weeks in Katmandu few years back and the only real problem I has was the 10 or 20 people who inevitably stand around you as do your thing. I was also doing quite a few graphite drawings and I always had a few children set right next to me as I drew. It’s somewhat distracting at first, but once you acclimatize you self to the Nepali sense of personal space you will soon forget about it, and most likely enjoy it as I did. Have a great trip. Namaste!