Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Railroad Landscapes : New York Transit Museum

Re: Railroad Landscapes : New York Transit Museum

I hope so Tim! Have you ever seen the work of Jim Shaughnessy? He did some night images as well around the same time as Link.

http://www.railphoto-art.org/ might be of interest to you!

John, I was not aware of Shaughnessy. I will have to check him out. I have looked at your website and you have some very interesting images. It's neat how the RR tracks create a thread through the various environments. It's not the locomotives you see but the "road" itself.

I have always been fascinated by the railroad lines that went through the northern plains of Minnesota, the Dakotas and further west. At that time, every 12-15 miles the railroad company laid out plats on virgin prairie for towns where no one lived yet. Settlement followed these railroad crews and railroad town lots and farms near the tracks were handled like homesteads. Some of these towns died out and everyone is gone. In some of these places, the tracks are gone as well, and all you have left is an empty area where the railroad once passed.

My great grandparents came from Sweden in 1882 and settle in South Dakota Territory and took advantage of this railroad land. They got their first homesteads within 5 miles of one of these railroad created settlements.
    "Photographs don't lie, they just don't tell the truth" - Lawrence Clark Powell

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Blomquist View Post
    John, I was not aware of Shaughnessy. I will have to check him out. I have looked at your website and you have some very interesting images. It's neat how the RR tracks create a thread through the various environments. It's not the locomotives you see but the "road" itself.
    Thank you! Yes for a long time I photographed the trains but I found interest in using the track's geometry as a visual motif throughout instead of the train.

I have always been fascinated by the railroad lines that went through the northern plains of Minnesota, the Dakotas and further west. At that time, every 12-15 miles the railroad company laid out plats on virgin prairie for towns where no one lived yet. Settlement followed these railroad crews and railroad town lots and farms near the tracks were handled like homesteads. Some of these towns died out and everyone is gone. In some of these places, the tracks are gone as well, and all you have left is an empty area where the railroad once passed.
    From what I heard it is gorgeous up there. God's country. I want to photograph this aspect of the railroad after having worked a lot in the urban northeast and midwest. Much of the old Milwaukee Road (Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific) is torn up from the Daktos to Seattle. Infrastructure remains, such as old substations, tunnels, and bridges but no tracks. https://nosleinad6.wordpress.com/201...g-for-a-train/

My great grandparents came from Sweden in 1882 and settle in South Dakota Territory and took advantage of this railroad land. They got their first homesteads within 5 miles of one of these railroad created settlements.
    This is amazing. Thanks for sharing!!

Wingnut/GearJammer/IBEWRetired Racer X 69's Avatar

Nice work John, and congratulations on the exhibition too!
    Whiskey Is Sunlight Held Together By Water

Analog Photographer Kimberly Anderson's Avatar

Congratulations! Love the 4x10!