Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Any interest in a modern timer release for LF lens?

Re: Any interest in a modern timer release for LF lens?

OK, I feel ashamed, so I am going to order a couple servos (I know how to use them and where to buy them) and make a couple prototypes. I suck at the mechanical part but how difficult is to tie down a servo and glue down a long cable release :-)

The electronic part is almost trivial for me. I will do an overkill and use a Cortex-M3 board with a Touch Screen LCD because.. I have several of them. It will be easy to add a blue tooth module on top later too...

Stay tuned.

I'd be interested in one, in for $100 or perhaps more. Another design possibility is the scads of timers available from HongKong through Ebay, like this. Alas, the load contacts are AC non-inductive, so there would have to be a relay most likely. K.I.S.S doncha know....doesn't *have* to have programmed computer....

retrogrouchy

the electronic timers (at least for flash) have triac outputs, which are a bit annoying for converting to drive a solenoid. Far easier to just use a micro and implement the timing directly, instead of using two separate boxes (off the shelf timer plus mechanical adapter box).

An M3 I have no problem with (cheap!) but touch screen? That's going to ruin your pricing and form-factor. I was thinking one of those little 0.9" 128x64 OLED screens would be just the ticket for this.

I considered this briefly. My concept was a device that would connect at the end of a standard cable release. The shutter would be activated by the cable release manually. The closing of the shutter would be activated by the electronic timer. This eliminated the need for servos and could be accomplished with a small solenoid. Alas, my design skills in that arena are limited so I worked on backpacks instead.

Bruce
    Bruce

Why not keep it simple? Maybe not quite what you were thinking, but what about a device that just trips the shutter once with each push of a single button? As far as times, all my shutters have the ability to control their own, so I wouldn't see a need for a timing feature. After I am done focusing, I need close my shutter and adjust my aperture, so setting my shutter speed is not a problem. That way, if I want to do a long exposure, I set my shutter to T and hit the button once - my shutter opens. When I am done I hit the button a second time, my shutter closes.

For $50, I'd buy that. If it was easy to switch from one lens to another, I'd pay $100.

I still use these. work great.
    Tin Can

Back 30 some years ago, I built a timing rig using a commonly available P&B timing relay to run a big solenoid operated Packard shutter.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	576A9981 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	50.7 KB 
ID:	129234
    I did a lot of work with this which you can see here
    A few years back, when I had big enlargements made in Cibacrome and FujiFlex (by Laumont in NYC, highly recommended!) I discovered this caused camera shake. Recently it occurred to me that I could just use the same timing lashup to trigger the lens shutters using T mode and a push solenoid. This is my first jury-rig effort..which didn't work because the specified push of this solenoid, 3/4 pound, wasn't enough.

Name:	576A9983corrected (Medium).jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	43.4 KB 
ID:	129235
    I have since ordered a push solenoid with more gimp. These push solenoids are commonly available, but at considerable price...I was looking for something costing like $10. Maybe this.
    This whole business hardly needs microprocessors, though if that's what you know, that's what you'll use. The hardest part in this is acutating the shutter release...doing the timing is easy.
    Here are some more pictures of the timing box. Everything's stuff into a small ammo box.
    = There is a DPDT toggle switch that either (down position) sends current to the P&B timing relay OR in the other (up) position, uninterrupted voltage to hold the shutter open while you're focusing.
    = There is a rotary switch, which selected one of several resistors. The timing relay came with a chart that told me what resistance resistor would cause the timing relay to operate (it offer both NC and NO) for the desired period. So I got the appropriate resistors for 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, 1,2,4, and 8 seconds.
    =There are two 1/4' phono jacks.
    -----One is connected to a momentary push switch (sometimes called a pendant switch, because you'll see them hanging from above in a shop to control machinery) that initiates the timing sequence. i originally had a door bell, but sometimes the contact would bounce and expose twice...so I busted apart an old game joystick and found the wries that went to its big trigger. A switch with authority and attitude!
    -----The other connects to the shutter (the packard shutter or the solenoid rig which I haven't perfected yet
    = There is a battery pack holding 8 alkaline D cells....which need to be changed maybe once every 6 months.
    = There is a P&B relay, which is plugged into an octal socket, CKH-38-29010

It works. It's ugly, but it works, just fine (for 35 years!) and is a tank

Name:	576A9984 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	51.7 KB 
ID:	129236 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	576A9987 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	60.8 KB 
ID:	129237

One more picture....you're only allows 4 per append

Name:	576A9991 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	46.1 KB 
ID:	129241

I'm kinda busy...been going out to Colorado to see a lady friend and take pictures (this time in large format) of the Poudre River canyon north of Fort Collins

Name:	579C8497corrected-cropped_1 (Large).jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	75.1 KB 
ID:	129243 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	579C8277corrected-cropped (Large).jpg 
Size:	82.1 KB 
ID:	129245

So if there are any questions, it may be a while before I can answer them. You can email me direct at sdean aht sdean period net

Quote Originally Posted by sdean7855 View Post
    One more picture....you're only allows 4 per append

Name:	576A9991 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	46.1 KB 
ID:	129241

I'm kinda busy...been going out to Colorado to see a lady friend and take pictures (this time in large format) of the Poudre River canyon north of Fort Collins

Name:	579C8497corrected-cropped_1 (Large).jpg 
Size:	75.1 KB 
ID:	129243 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	579C8277corrected-cropped (Large).jpg 
Size:	82.1 KB 
ID:	129245

So if there are any questions, it may be a while before I can answer them. You can email me direct at sdean aht sdean period net
    does it come with a hot shoe mount? hahaha!

I used to use these often at work, but never knew the cost as the tool crib just handed them out. $$$$$

Still need a holding solenoid that's affordable, reliable, long throw and powerful. ILEX 5 shutters require a big long push.
    Tin Can