Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Can we start a new digital/traditional troll subforum?

Re: Can we start a new digital/traditional troll subforum?

I have not really dealt with beginning curators and every collector or curator I have talked with says the discussion of the process is popular, be it derived of technical aspects or "Life of an Artist" aspects. Sure, I have a handful of color images that are printed by digital output that are quite popular and do well, people buy them because they like them, I'll even attach the top selling one for you so you know I am not BS-ing about...

But if the work is stunning and the buyer is interested, the fact a print was hand crafted instead of computer generated helps get that checkbook out faster every single time and that is the way it should be. The front to back analog process deserves that kind of prestige in a world filled with digital wunderkind and billions of images...

As an aside, one of my all time favorite photographers is the cinematic Fan Ho, I have his book called Hong Kong Yesterday. The one he did after it called The Living Theatre is sold out leaving about a dozen copies of the pricey limited edition set which includes a nice print. I was about to pass until I decided to call the publisher and ask about the origin of the print. When he confirmed it is silver gel, signed and numbered, I changed my mind and ordered the book....paid for in full by the sale of a print of the attached image...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Trigger.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	71.1 KB 
ID:	121261

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Well ... I just looked again at the current list of most expensive photographs. Every print dated 1990 or later is digital.

That's good enough for me. Digital wins and all darkrooms must be abolished. I start the dismantling tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by paulr View Post
    Well ... I just looked again at the current list of most expensive photographs. Every print dated 1990 or later is digital.
    Tin Can

Whaddaya mean? The modern ones are all C-Prints. I mean, they could be digital C-Prints, but even so, they're developed in RA-4. None of those (that I saw) were inkjet (or Giclée if you prefer). Mind you... I don't have a problem with ink jets.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    That's good enough for me. Digital wins and all darkrooms must be abolished. I start the dismantling tomorrow.
    I don't know. You don't need to go all digital right away unless your lifestyle demands selling prints for over a million.

I have reduced my lifestyle to starving retired artist with a secure future. I am not burdened with profit motives for the duration.

Creative freedom is the only freedom.

And I was kidding about dismantling, I have only begun to enjoy myself.

Quote Originally Posted by paulr View Post
    I don't know. You don't need to go all digital right away unless your lifestyle demands selling prints for over a million.
    Tin Can

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    I have reduced my lifestyle to starving retired artist with a secure future. I am not burdened with profit motives for the duration.

Creative freedom is the only freedom.

And I was kidding about dismantling, I have only begun to enjoy myself.
    That's good news! I'm only in it for the money, so I just make million dollar inkjets now. Unfortunately they sell at a rate of one every 400 years.

2 Bit Hack

I am just starting out, again, and still have most of my darkroom equipment in a pile in the middle of the dinning room. I am looking to buy a 3880 printer. I am at the fork in the road.
    Regards

Marty

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Quote Originally Posted by Jmarmck View Post
    I am looking to buy a 3880 printer. I am at the fork in the road.
    They take up less space in the dining room.

This I can say with certainty. Since I left my industrial loft to share an apartment with my girlfriend, the 3880 has lived on a cart about 5 feet from the dining room table.
    Still, the powers that be consider it "huge" and "ugly," so I've been forced to buy a fitted cover.

Quote Originally Posted by Jmarmck View Post
    I am just starting out, again, and still have most of my darkroom equipment in a pile in the middle of the dinning room. I am looking to buy a 3880 printer. I am at the fork in the road.
    Go for it. Shooting on film and printing on inkjet is not the road to hell. It might even lead to your shooting more film.