Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Can we start a new digital/traditional troll subforum?

Re: Can we start a new digital/traditional troll subforum?

Hmmm, blue glove you say. I've been using the purple ones. Maybe it's time to re-think my approach. Thanks for the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    It may not be enough to point out to prospective buyers that your prints are made with traditional processes. The modern buying public is so well-informed about such matters that they frequently ask not only about choice of paper, paper grade, developer - they demand to know what enlarger was used, even which enlarger lens, easel, paper trays etc.

Just yesterday someone at a very famous gallery asked me whether I used print tongs, or agitated by rocking the tray instead. I told him I rock the tray. Then he asked me if I wear gloves. What type of gloves... Nitrile ? What color... blue ?

What a shame it's not like it was in the old days, when buyers only asked about shutter speed, focal length and aperture: now they demand to know the actual lens serial number !

I've clinched hundreds of print sales - not just because I use all the right materials and equipment - but because I make my prints on the right day of the week ! That's right: I do all my printing on odd-numbered days. Posh galleries insist on knowing, or they won't even look at your work.
    Yikes! That would drive me insane. Guess its a good thing I don't sell any prints.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    Can we start a new digital/traditional troll subforum with a toilet flush lever as its symbol?
    I'd be in favor of that, regardless of the symbol used. However, my support is contingent upon the guidelines being updated to prohibit feeding trolls. Without that, lots of otherwise serious people keep throwing the trolls nourishment. With it (enforced), there'd be lots of "no response" threads, i.e. automatic troll shunning.

PS I've noticed that trolls frequently disguise trolling by posting their nonsense in the form of "questions." Might be a good way to determine whether things posted in other categories really ought be moved to this new one.

A digital/traditional subforum could be interesting and informative but I'm not sure how one would identify a troll.

Is it the person who insists that digital picture-making and making pictures out of light sensitive materials is the same thing?
    Or is the troll the one who points that the two methods are actually different?
    Is it trolling to assert that digital pictures and pictures made by light and chemistry are identical in outcome and value?
    Or is the troll the one who proposes that the the two kinds of picture constitute different outcomes and the differences are sometimes important, sometimes not?
    Or, worst of all, is a troll is a person who fashions a post that transgresses the personal philosophy of a moderator?

I get the impression that many people making pictures using digital methods are very defensive about their personal identification as photographers. There may be issues of self esteem, professional credibility, commercial status, and aesthetic credentials at stake. But this forum is not the real world where people may prosper if the market-place identifies them as photographers and sees their children starve if they are not. There is an opportunity to make this place a haven of calm and rational discussions of all lens based picture-making methods.
    Photography:first utterance. Sir John Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society. "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..".

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trolldead.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	94.8 KB 
ID:	120664

I like the way you put the last sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by Maris Rusis View Post
    ... But this forum is not the real world where people may prosper if the market-place identifies them as photographers and sees their children starve if they are not. There is an opportunity to make this place a haven of calm and rational discussions of all lens based picture-making methods.
    Tin Can

Instead, maybe a poll of members' chosen printing methods.
    It might be useful to know how many users there are of various printing methods.
    With a poll, folks won't be able to argue.....
    Real cameras are measured in inches...
    Not pixels.

www.photocollective.org

Who prints? I throw away all my negs long before scanning or printing comes into play.
    Tin Can

I print with a hammer. But I have both a digital one and an analog one.
    They're both really big, though.
    Large formash.
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    It may not be enough to point out to prospective buyers that your prints are made with traditional processes. The modern buying public is so well-informed about such matters that they frequently ask not only about choice of paper, paper grade, developer - they demand to know what enlarger was used, even which enlarger lens, easel, paper trays etc.

Just yesterday someone at a very famous gallery asked me whether I used print tongs, or agitated by rocking the tray instead. I told him I rock the tray. Then he asked me if I wear gloves. What type of gloves... Nitrile ? What color... blue ?

What a shame it's not like it was in the old days, when buyers only asked about shutter speed, focal length and aperture: now they demand to know the actual lens serial number !

I've clinched hundreds of print sales - not just because I use all the right materials and equipment - but because I make my prints on the right day of the week ! That's right: I do all my printing on odd-numbered days. Posh galleries insist on knowing, or they won't even look at your work.
    I had to read this twice and I still don't know if you are pulling our legs...

If you're serious, I can imagine being irritated, but maybe it's someone trying to catch a liar.

Yeah, I use the white vinyl gloves, but hate it when the Acetone eats them away.