Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: 240mm 8x10 lens: which is best?

Drew Wiley

Re: 240mm 8x10 lens: which is best?

I judged my own results from 30X40 inch Cibachromes printed from the 8x10. It doesn't get much more nitpicky than that. The three small lenses I have used all
    performed very similarly in terms of image circle, color balance, and overall crispness: Fuji 250/6,7, 240A, and 350 G-Claron. Happy with them all. No, they don't fully cover wide open. So what? They have adequate wiggle room stopped down to typical working apertures, though at extreme angles it's helpful to use as much rear tilt as possible versus front. There are subtle differences in contrast due to the different coatings. But if somebody wants to give a Germinar, I'd be happy to
    include that in my own opinion list. Don't all rush to offer them at once. Just one or two will do.

In the 240mm class I have used the Fuji A and f6.7, the Nikon W, the 10" WF Ektar, the G Claron, and the Schneider and once I shot the Doctor 240mm WA it was absolutely no contest. The Doctor WA is the sharpest, widest coverage and best contrast of the bunch and is minimal in size. Best of breed IMHO

Drew Wiley

But did you try it close to macro, which is the home field for the G and A? (though they're wonderful at infinity too). Would be nice to throw in an Apo Nikkor 4-element too, since they seems to exceed every official view camera lens in technical categories, even if their "bokeh" stinks. I think it's spelled Docter Optic;
    otherwise all I know is that they are fairly rare.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    But did you try it close to macro, which is the home field for the G and A? (though they're wonderful at infinity too). Would be nice to throw in an Apo Nikkor 4-element too, since they seems to exceed every official view camera lens in technical categories, even if their "bokeh" stinks. I think it's spelled Docter Optic;
    otherwise all I know is that they are fairly rare.
    Yes, you are correct in the fact that it is a Docter. Actually I did have an opportunity to use it in a macro setting and it performed flawlessly. The contrast and sharpness is something you have to see to believe. I found a 30" f14.5 Docter in a Copal 3 that exhibits similar character. Too bad there are not more of these around. I should probably sell my other 240mm lenses because they are not going to get much playing time.

I prefer my Docter Optic 240mm to my 240mm G-claron. As Michael says, the former is sharper and contrastier.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak View Post
    Yes, you are correct in the fact that it is a Docter. Actually I did have an opportunity to use it in a macro setting and it performed flawlessly. The contrast and sharpness is something you have to see to believe. I found a 30" f14.5 Docter in a Copal 3 that exhibits similar character. Too bad there are not more of these around. I should probably sell my other 240mm lenses because they are not going to get much playing time.
    I honestly forgot who on this forum sold me the 240mm Docter lens a while back but I owe you big time.