Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Photobackpacker is Retiring

Arlington VA for real & West Milford NJ in my heart and head

Re: Photobackpacker is Retiring

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Received my 8x10 cascading holder today!!

Question for everyone, I normally store all my holders in plastic bags to prevent dust. Do you think it's necessary with these holders?
    Stone, click on the video on this page to see Bruce in action with the Cascade. How he utilizes its features and uses it in the field.

http://www.photobackpacker.com/mm5/m...ory_Code=RPT05

He does use baggies.
    Bob

There's mosquitoes on the river, fish are rising up like birds. It's been hot for seven weeks now, too hot to even speak now, did you hear what I just heard?

Quote Originally Posted by Kodachrome25 View Post
    I think so, I figure no matter what, the porous nature of fabric traps dust...

I use these anti-static bags, they fit & hold up better than standard ziplocs. They come in packs of 100 so you are truly set up for awhile.
    Thanks, I now sell packaging for a living and get the industrial kind of bags, if you've ever bought an 8x10 holder from B&H that's the same size bag I have. I could probably get those kinds but these ones aren't really "staticky" at least not yet, I'll see how winter gets...

Quote Originally Posted by csxcnj View Post
    Stone, click on the video on this page to see Bruce in action with the Cascade. How he utilizes its features and uses it in the field.

http://www.photobackpacker.com/mm5/m...ory_Code=RPT05

He does use baggies.
    Thanks I've seen it, it's great! I'm really liking them! Now I want some 4x5's *sigh*....

Bruce,

Thanks and just ordered mine.

Hugo

Quote Originally Posted by Photobackpacker View Post
    I believe the short torso pack set to an 18 torso length will be the way to go.

Bruce

To keep the holders clean, I use the large commercial type saran wrap they sell at places like Costco for restaurants. A roll lasts me for years. It is cheap, fits any size stack of holders and fits like a glove. I wrap two together and use them in my Gnass cascade holder.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Thank you Bruce for the wonderful cascading film holder bags and lens cases. Have a happy retirement, I only wish I knew about you sooner.

Got my P3 today, still have some lens cases, another 4x5 cascade, smaller belt for Summer, custom backer boards and a bunch of odds and ends on the way.

I took it for about a 2 mile spin to a section of mountain stream I like, lots of rocks, got a late start though due to talent for an ad shoot running an hour late, oh well.

At 36L + the two side pouches it’s a big pack, a nice logical move up from my 10, 15 & 20 liter Lowe Pro packs. I put a total of 12 film holders in two cascades and the side pouches, those weigh about 3 pounds each. Until my other stuff arrives, I am using one 3 and one 4 lens partitioned lens case, really light. For kicks I put one of my Hasselblad 501CM's with a 100 Planar in the 3 lens case, fits nicely.

But for tonight, I ran with my Chamonix 45N2, 90mm F8 Nikkor, 135mm F5.6 Apo Sironar S, Nikkor 200 F8 M and 350mm F11 Apo-Tele-Xenar. For a tripod I am now using a Gitzo 1228 with an Acra-Tech GP head at 5 lbs total. So with 32oz of water, clothing, various sundries other goodies and the above, I was just shy of 28 pounds. I think in using this for the reason I got it for, half full of camera gear, half full of more important stuff, it is going to work great!

The load rode well, even scrambling over rocks and under tree branches the kit felt snug and secure, no sore spots on me whatsoever after a 3 hour outing. For day outings with this setup I suspect I will be between 25-35 pounds with LF gear, another 6-10 pounds less overall with a decent medium format setup. Anything smaller and lighter than that I will opt for one of my other packs for day tripping. But for overnight, this might just work with a 2 lens, 6 holder 4x5 kit and will certainly work overnight for a 2-3 lens and three back Hassy kit.

I really like some of the nice touches that are not really talked about such as the sunglass holder in the outer pocket, reflective material on the shoulder straps and 1” lashing points on the top and bottom of the pack. I put a 50oz Camelbak bladder in a small compression stuff sack and it attached nicely to the top of the pack via the lashing points. I will likely vary the hydration system as much as the gear it self depending on distance, duration and having fresh water sources to filter from.

Even though one can hardly garner how a system like this is going to stack up after just a two mile hike, so far so good. I’m going to try a 10 mile one tomorrow that tops out at 13,400 feet, that ought to really reveal the fit….

Thanks for everything Bruce, glad I got onboard while you have things in stock!

Attachment 121244Attachment 121245

Got my P3 and assorted stuff today. Custom charges were about 8% to get it into Japan - so in the realm of sales tax really. Very happy with this transaction.

Postie should be dropping off my P3 and Cascades today, I hope
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

My P3 arrived yesterday. I transferred the 5x7 kit over to it. It's much lighter than my old pack empty, and when fully loaded it feels so much more comfortable. Almost like my 4x5 kit (in an older kelty pack), despite probably 15# extra. It's a really comfortable pack.