Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Photobackpacker is Retiring

Re: Photobackpacker is Retiring

Quote Originally Posted by Regular Rod View Post
    2 more of each?

RR
    LOL....this started out last week as an order for two 4x5 cascades.

After using them for a little over a day, my order now stands at 4 cascades, two P3 pouches, 8 lens cases, one 4x5 camera case and a P3 pack....

I seem to be needing to grow a third leg so I can jump in with three feet....

Attachment 120828

2 Bit Hack

I am with ya. Camera case, 4x4 case, two 4" cases, two P3 pouches, P3 pack, one 4x5 cascade and I need to order another......and I just found 19 more holders.....
    Regards

Marty

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Zhang View Post
    I can't measure my torso length. I am about 5' 8-9". Anybody here about my height knows his torso length? I am thinking about getting a P3.
    Hugo, I'd call or email Bruce, I'm sure he came figure out what size you need. I dealt with Bruce both by email and by phone and he has always been very helpful.

Roger

Arlington VA for real & West Milford NJ in my heart and head

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Thoms View Post
    Hugo, I'd call or email Bruce, I'm sure he came figure out what size you need. I dealt with Bruce both by email and by phone and he has always been very helpful.

Roger
    Yup, Bruce can talk you through it. On the backpack page there are instructions for measuring your torso length. It is the from the knob at the base of your neck to the top of your hip bone if I'm remembering correctly. And the backpack is adjustable if it doesn't seem to ride correctly, like after you age about ten years and shrink a little
    Bob

There's mosquitoes on the river, fish are rising up like birds. It's been hot for seven weeks now, too hot to even speak now, did you hear what I just heard?

I can't tell from what I've seen and maybe it's just not being good at research but does any camping gear fit into the backpack that's for the 8x10? Or is this more like a daypack system?

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    I can't tell from what I've seen and maybe it's just not being good at research but does any camping gear fit into the backpack that's for the 8x10? Or is this more like a daypack system?
    The pack is the same size for all systems, DSLR, medium format, LF etc. What makes it have room for other gear or not is how much componentry you load into it before food, jackets, etc. The CU of the P3 is around 3,600 so depending on how you pack both your camera gear and your overnight gear, you might be able to solo it with a bivy sack, pad and super light down bag, but more than likely you would need to share some gear with a hiking partner.

But where this all comes together.......in a much more comprehensive system is using a custom backer board which I am probably going to have two of made, one for my wife's overnight pack and one for my medium duty one. I am getting the top loader backer boards, that way I can layout camera gear in a more sensible manner and simply pull it out as a unit if need be. Another consideration, since the component cases velcro on many sides, you can join them together and reinforce it with some velcro on the bottom and simply lower it into your chosen pack. There are lots of things that can be done with this once you have some components.

I'm such an ass, back in 2012 I criticized this gear on this forum as being just like the rest when in reality, it could not be further from the truth. And I do *still* strongly advocate keeping one trick ponies at a minimum for deep back county, long haul work. But I bet between all the stuff I am getting from Bruce and my own innovations ongoing, this will turn out to be an utterly revolutionary way of working....no more reaching around the bottom of my 4,500 C.I. Osprey pack looking for a lens stuffed in a sock....

I can't measure my torso length. I am about 5' 8-9". Anybody here about my height knows his torso length? I am thinking about getting a P3.
    If you go to an REI store, they have devices to measure your torso length very accurately. It takes only a few minutes.

If I have an accurate height measurement and an accurate measurement of your inseam, I can make an educated guess. Height alone won't work since some people short torsos with long legs and visa versa.
    Bruce

Wingnut/GearJammer/IBEWRetired Racer X 69's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by csxcnj View Post
    The only problem I have with the current pack is that my waist belt size has gone from 38-42 to 34-38!
    We should all have this "problem"!

Whiskey Is Sunlight Held Together By Water

Hi Bruce,

Just give me an educated guess. I am 5" 8-9'. I wear pants of 32x30" and jacket of 42".

Thanks.
    Hugo

Hi Bruce,

Just give me an educated guess. I am 5" 8-9'. I wear pants of 32x30" and jacket of 42".

Thanks.
    Hugo
    I believe the short torso pack set to an 18 torso length will be the way to go.

Bruce
    Bruce