Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New to B&W, I need to know if Ilford Delta 400 chemistry will do other Ilford films?

retrogrouchy

Re: New to B&W, I need to know if Ilford Delta 400 chemistry will do other Ilford fi

As per previous answers, B&W films (with a small handful of exceptions) are universally compatible with B&W developers and fixers. Different combinations have different characteristics, hence the rabbit hole; google up the Massive Development Chart for a starting point. TMY2 (Tmax 400) is probably the closest equivalent to Delta 400 that is available in 4x5, it is wonderful stuff but quite expensive (except that you're used to paying for colour). HP5 is excellent, but it is a coarser traditional emulsion, closer to Tri-X than it is to Delta and Tmax.

Do you have a 4x5" enlarger? If you were previously scanning your colour film and the B&W photo class expects you to make traditional silver prints (I would hope that it does!) then you might have a sticking point if the people running the class only have smaller enlargers. If they have a medium-format enlarger, you could maybe buy a rollfilm back for your camera and use that for the class. That would let you use Delta 400, which is available in 120 (medium format).

Have a read through the FAQ link in my signature, it's aimed at the beginner level and should hopefully pre-empt some of your questions and/or make some things clearer.

I assume the course will have some reference materials or textbook, but if you want an excellent reference then you should buy a copy of Way Beyond Monochrome. It contains basically everything you need to know about the B&W process, end-to-end.

Rio Oso shooter

Re: New to B&W, I need to know if Ilford Delta 400 chemistry will do other Ilford fi

Once again thanks for the heads up. I asked about printing 4X5 and he said no problem.

R