Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I'm interested in a printer, I think...

Re: I'm interested in a printer, I think...

Quote Originally Posted by Toyon View Post
    We humans are designed to synergize our senses and muscles with our emotional and calculating brain. Digital processing and printing does not engage the connection between your brain and hands as effectively as darkroom processing (moving a mouse is a very limited form of mechanical activity). Digital pretty much relies on mental processing, with the huge assistance of Adobe algorithms thrown in. Perhaps the end result is the same, as many argue. But in my view they are not. You should consider your choices carefully and how you want to engage yourself in your own approach to photography.
    Nice foundation thought .. Build on this, avoid detours...

-------------------------
    Over 12 years professional dye transfer printer. If we're measuring darkroom sinks, I have more credentials.

Dye transfer is such a beautiful thing. Thanks for keeping it alive.

I had endless clogs with endless Epsons, finally switching to Canon. Last year, at least, they were practically giving away Pixma Pro-100s, and I bought one because B&W is mainly what I do. It was a great decision. I've had zero clogs, zero alignment problems, zero feeding problems, no pizza wheels, and it makes really great prints. If I do it right, it's better than silver, for me. As someone said in another thread, if you can't make digital prints look as good or better than silver, you're doing something wrong. Digital has just as harsh a learning curve as silver, so don't expect to make perfect prints immediately, any more than you did when you first printed silver.
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

Dye transfer is such a beautiful thing. ....
    (See pm)

Some were. Most we're quite pedestrian.
    The most beautiful prints I have are stone lithos, and collotypes . Stones are also out of production, leaving collotype.

Ink is more satisfying to me, more than any other paper based art-- ink on paper; light on clouds

We humans are designed to synergize our senses and muscles with our emotional and calculating brain. Digital processing and printing does not engage the connection between your brain and hands as effectively as darkroom processing (moving a mouse is a very limited form of mechanical activity). Digital pretty much relies on mental processing, with the huge assistance of Adobe algorithms thrown in. Perhaps the end result is the same, as many argue. But in my view they are not. You should consider your choices carefully and how you want to engage yourself in your own approach to photography.
    Quote Originally Posted by paulr View Post
    If I were to attempt to untangle this morass of unsupportable assumptions and bad logic, I'd probably throw my back out of joint.
    Just noticed the morass now. Glad you already said what needed to be said about it. Thanks, Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    Just noticed the morass now. Glad you already said what needed to be said about it. Thanks, Paul.
    Paul if you are happy that's more important than understanding.

And shame on writers who write using a computer. Digital pretty much relies on mental processing, with the huge assistance of Microsoft algorithms thrown in. In fact, we should just disregard words written in an internet forum altogether...

Quote Originally Posted by Boscoe View Post
    So due to space I'm finding converting my bathroom into a darkroom a real chore. I'm beginning to think it's going to be a lot easier to buy a good printer and scanner and use those. I'm thinking of trying to get hold of a v700 or 750 form eBay. I really don't know much about printers. I want something that can give comparable results to wet prints and A4 is adequate for me. Can people just tell me a bit about them, what to look out for etc?

Thanks
    Boscoe
    This is the thread's original post. I've bolded the originator's request.

Quote Originally Posted by paulr View Post
    If I were to attempt to untangle this morass of unsupportable assumptions and bad logic, I'd probably throw my back out of joint.
    Paul if you are happy that's more important than understanding.
    Paul is capable of far deeper understanding than what your post could ever communicate about anything. I won't even quote your other ad hominem post attacking Paul personally; it shouldn't be dignified with a response.

Why do you feel compelled to crap all over threads where people are exploring digital methods? Is it insecurity? A need to knock down others' work to build up your own? I just don't get it.

Again, other than snapshots and occasional publication illustrations, my work is all gelatin silver wet darkroom. So far I prefer that process. But tools are tools.

People, digital is an acceptable process for discussion here. Save the anti-digital personal attacks for where it is welcome, which it isn't here.

Rick "doing a little deleting" Denney

This is the thread's original post. I've bolded the originator's request.

Too often the last resort of someone who is unwilling to frame a cogent argument is to become all sanctimonious. I'll just suggest you take a look at my original post and ask you to figure out why that constitutes, in your prose, to "crap all over threads". If you master that, perhaps you can also devise who began attacking whom. It seems to an unlucky few, that any hint of an alternate point of view that does not entirely validate their own causes deep (psychic) injury and the delusion that they have been severely attacked. Anyone who feels "knocked down" by my mild statement probably has some deeper pre-existing insecurities at stake. By the way, do you really think that the phrase "tools are tools" is worth repeating?

Paul is capable of far deeper understanding than what your post could ever communicate about anything. I won't even quote your other ad hominem post attacking Paul personally; it shouldn't be dignified with a response.

Why do you feel compelled to crap all over threads where people are exploring digital methods? Is it insecurity? A need to knock down others' work to build up your own? I just don't get it.

Again, other than snapshots and occasional publication illustrations, my work is all gelatin silver wet darkroom. So far I prefer that process. But tools are tools.