Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: I'm interested in a printer, I think...

Re: I'm interested in a printer, I think...

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Johnson View Post
    Please invent and market a scanner better than the Epson for $750!
    I think it's easily done because component cost is low but demand is also low hence the high prices of scanners.

For me, it was cheaper to own two scanners than to own a large-format scanner that could also do well with 35mm.

Now, i can scan 35mm color slides pretty well with a Bowens Illumitran, though I'm still dialing in contrast control.

Rick "who uses a Nikon 8000ED for roll film" Denney

Quote Originally Posted by rdenney View Post
    For me, it was cheaper to own two scanners than to own a large-format scanner that could also do well with 35mm.
    Now, i can scan 35mm color slides pretty well with a Bowens Illumitran, though I'm still dialing in contrast control.
    Rick "who uses a Nikon 8000ED for roll film" Denney
    I also think so. I don't think that a large-format scanner worth its money if it's used for non business purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by antonygrakhar View Post
    I also think so. I don't think that a large-format scanner worth its money if it's used for non business purposes.
    Based on what? People here spend tons of money on expensive cameras, tripos, expensive lenses and all other manner of toys for photography. They buy materials like platinum to make prints when that's what they like. Inkjet printers can cost a lot, depending on their size. Enlargers also can cost a lot. Why is a scanner that costs $1500 "not worth it". Not worth it to you perhaps, but you can't make a generalization. Everyone wants something different.

For me a good scanner was a revelation. Printing on the inkjet was a need when I didn't have the wherewithal to set up another darkroom. I do now, but it allowed me to make prints that were as good as the platinum prints I had made earlier. Both methods work. Had I used cheap equipment I would never have gotten there.

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

+1

If people would examine Peter's post's they might realize he really does know what he is doing and recommending.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J. De Smidt View Post
    If you have a good dslr, then using it to "scan" your negatives is a viable option. Otherwise, the V700 is a good choice for 4x5 and medium format film.
    Tin Can

Digital Fine Art Printing

If you do opt for an inkjet printer keep it in a DUST FREE and somewhat humidity controlled (RH 40%-60%) environment and it will be a much happier printer with fewer issues. Also, keep an eye out for dust buildup from the paper you feed into the printer. For example the Epson Hot Press Bright is a great matte paper but it throws off lots of dust that I assume is from the inkjet coating. Fine art semigloss papers like the Canson Platine are less dusty and the RC based papers like Epson Luster don't seem to create their own dust. This dust will make it's way onto the print head, wipers and flushing pad causing clogs and making them more difficult to clear.

I love a great silver gelatin print, but if your not printing full time an ink jet printer is easier to start up and quickly make a few also great prints. Financially, in many cases it is cheaper to actually have a professional do the prints, but I'm assuming you want to buy a printer because you love printing. In that case you don't need to run the numbers, just get a printer.