Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: A collection of LF ideas & discoveries that don't need a whole thread to themselves

Re: A collection of LF ideas & discoveries that don't need a whole thread to themselv

I put a dot on my focus knob. Now I can estimate how many "hours" I turn the knob. I have already calculated best aperture per millimeter of focus spread, and millimeter travel per knob rotation. Now I can use "hours" to estimate best aperture. For example 12 hours is f64, etc.

Re: A collection of LF ideas & discoveries that don't need a whole thread to themselv

I use rubber bands to hold darkslides in holders. Those twist locks never stay put.

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    I put a dot on my focus knob. Now I can estimate how many "hours" I turn the knob. I have already calculated best aperture per millimeter of focus spread, and millimeter travel per knob rotation. Now I can use "hours" to estimate best aperture. For example 12 hours is f64, etc.
    Interesting
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Dave Karp

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    Really, you still see that upside down?
    Funny.

I don't think I see the image upside down or right side up when I am looking at the GG. But I always remember the image right side up, but flipped, the way it is on the GG. The only exception is if I am photographing something I know well, then I remember it as it really looks. Weird.

Great idea about the car.

Since I'm looking at the scene beforehand I see the ground glass in the same relationship-unless I haven't used it in a while then it takes a little while to get it again.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

I cut a hole in plastic food storage lids and put the spikes of my tripod through then to make snow shoes when I shoot in loose sand.

Use clothes pins, (or those large paperclips with the folding handles) to attach focus cloth to the camera.
    Real cameras are measured in inches...
    Not pixels.

www.photocollective.org

Quote Originally Posted by Michael E View Post
    Those yellow self-adhesive Post-It sheets are great for labeling holders after the shot. Simply attach them to the darkslide.
    Quote Originally Posted by Preston View Post
    Post-Its are also great for marking the spot on graduated neutral density filter where you want the 'grad line' to be. The spot can be easily seen on the GG.
    Hurrah for post-its.

If you're a flatbed scanner, post-it stacks – in a pinch – can anchor a homemade mounting station (that is, the etched pane of glass) above the platen. You can even use them to determine the ideal height by peeling off [x] number of post-it sheets for each test scan.

The green ones work great!

Quote Originally Posted by dsphotog View Post
    Use clothes pins, (or those large paperclips with the folding handles) to attach focus cloth to the camera.
    Good one. I have just abandoned glued-on velcro in favor of on-hand universal binder clips.

Vince Donovan

This is a great thread!