Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: A collection of LF ideas & discoveries that don't need a whole thread to themselves

Re: A collection of LF ideas & discoveries that don't need a whole thread to themselv

For Epson 4990 + Epson Scan users...

As you may know, the 4990 features a single fixed lens, so choosing between "Film (with Film Holder)" and "Film (with Film Area Guide") doesn't change the performance of the lens. (It's a different story, of course, with Epson's later models such as the V700/750.)

However, the choice does make a difference on which part of the platen is covered by the 4990's lens. Naturally, the "Film Area Guide" provides a larger area, especially toward the bottom where I like to place my homemade film holder.

So I use the "Film Area Guide" choice -- even though I'm using my homemade holder.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Epson Scan.gif  

Re: A collection of LF ideas & discoveries that don't need a whole thread to themselv

Great thread
    -I carry a compact makeup mirror for setting the lens from behind the camera or when one is using a recessed lens board .

- i carry a small flash light

- i put brightly color tape on my shutter release

The bags photo paper comes in also happen to be good for keeping loaded film holders safe.

A Swiss Army knife---especially the one with a #2 Phillips--- is always good to have along. The one with the cork screw is good too especially if you have to wait for the light to change.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

when i shoot out of studio i always have some light stands and clamps to hold reflectors or flags sometimes a black background cloth to block out the rest of the scene from the subject

i carry card holder clamps wit black matt board ,to attach to the front standard for a lens shade

Quote Originally Posted by Maris Rusis View Post
    I have a fabric tape measure sewn into the edge of my focussing cloth for measuring those pesky bellows extensions. One less thing to pack, one less thing to forget.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    Post of the day.
    Quote Originally Posted by vdonovan View Post
    Two votes for post of the day.
    This was such a good idea that I did it almost right away.
    Instead of sewing a tape measure, I used a black laundry marker to write the increments (in inches) on the white side of my dark cloth.
    It's already proven very useful on at least four different occasions, and while it's rough, it eliminates all the guesswork.
    Pair this with the Reciprocity app, and bellows extension almost calculates itself!
    Thanks again, Maris.

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    This was such a good idea that I did it almost right away.
    Instead of sewing a tape measure, I used a black laundry marker to write the increments (in inches) on the white side of my dark cloth.
    It's already proven very useful on at least four different occasions, and while it's rough, it eliminates all the guesswork.
    Pair this with the Reciprocity app, and bellows extension almost calculates itself!
    Thanks again, Maris.
    Ari, you can do one better. Precalculate 1/2 or 1/3 stop incremental bellows compensations and just stick them to your lens board. My 150mm board, for example, has the following on it in P-Touch label tape:

150mm

+1/3 - 168mm
    +2/3 - 190mm
    +1 - 212mm
    +1 1/3 - 237mm
    +1 2/3 - 268mm
    +2 - 300mm
    +2 1/3 - 335mm
    +2 2/3 - 379mm
    +3 - 424mm
    +3 1/3 - 477mm
    -Chris

Ummm... Yeah

Since I have 6 film holders I use, I have 12 shots. I made up a shot record with the exposure and lighting information for all 12 shots on 1 sheet, a second sheet for notes on each shot, and a third for development information. I keep this on a steel clipboard with reciprocity charts, a Planckian Locus of color temperatures, and a sheet with common light temperatures laminated onto one side. On the other, I have a chart of the visible light spectrum from about 450nm to 710nm, with a chart of my filters and factors below corresponding wavelengths and colors. At the bottom are some fact about factors for quick reference in the field.

The shot record contains much of AA's original published record sheet, modified to suit my needs and "brain flow." I also keep an extra copy of "Scales to Determine Magnifying and Exposure Corrections..." just in case I "brain fart" the calculations.

The clipboard fits in a soft laptop "briefcase" with my holders, filters, meter, loupe, spare pack of smokes, mini-maglight, mini-Philips/straight screwdriver, 2 pens, seamstress's measuring tape, electrical tape, and miscellaneous sundries.

multiplex

keep a rock climbing diaper ( harness ) big carabiners, and some thick rope ( high deadweight tested ) handy
    so when you are on the edge of a cliff or quarry you can tie yourself to a tree in case
    "10feet from the edge" isn't enough room and the ledge breaks

I use a large spring binder clip from the stationery store to fasten my dark cloth to the carrying handle
    on the top of my field camera. In between pictures I clip it to the lanyard that my spot meter is on so
    it's always handy when I'm setting up.
    Where are we going?
    And why are we in this handbasket?

www.josephoharaphotography.com