Thread: Chamonix 045N-2 and 90mm Lens

Chamonix 045N-2 and 90mm Lens

I just unboxed my 045N-2 and will be installing a 210mm lens tomorrow. I was also looking at getting a 90mm. Does anyone know if I will need a recessed lensboard for this?

Thanks!

Tim Sandstrom

Re: Chamonix 045N-2 and 90mm Lens

Not if you've got the 'universal bellows', but you will probably need to move the rear standard forward a little, espcially if you
    attach the front standard to one of the holes closer to the front to avoid having the bed in view.

-Tim

Preston Birdwell

_jm,

My 045N-2 came with the universal bellows. If yours has it, you should be good to go for the 90mm. Tim's suggestions are excellent.

It's a wonderful camera, and I'm sure you're going to enjoy it. Have fun!

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

I use my 45N-2 with a 90 F8 Nikkor and even a 65 Grandagon with limited movement with no issues, just slide the rear standard forward and make sure you use the second to nearest position for mounting the front standard as a means to avoid getting the front of the camera in your shot.

I also use my 90mm f/8 on my 45N-2 and I've never had issues with the bed showing up in the shot, even with vertical shots with full front drop. I have a centered lensboard, though, so I'm not sure that's true for if the lensboard has the hole drilled lower. However, I always slide the rear standard forward for shots with my 65mm. I don't need a recessed lensboard even for the 65mm, but it might help if I were to use movements on rollfilm, because the bellows are pretty tight at that point and wouldn't allow for a lot of movement.

I pity the 4x5 that can't do a 90mm

Here's the 045N2 with a "17mm" with no recessed boards:
    http://genotypewritings.blogspot.com...ngle-lens.html